Pearl Berg (USA, 1909-2024)

20 Posts
8 Users
17 Likes
Ale76
(@ale76)
Supercentenarian Fan
Topic starter  

Pearl Berg was born on October 1, 1909 in Evansville, Indiana (USA). She spent her childhood in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania (USA). She moved to Los Angeles, California (USA) with her family in 1930. She became a member of Temple Israel in 1937 and continues to attend occasional services at the synagogue, usually during the High Holy Days. She married Mark Berg on 16 December 1931, with whom she had at least two children, Alan and Robert.
After her husband died in December 1989, Berg maintained a social life for herself by joining a book club, regularly attending concerts and plays, and becoming more involved with a bridge group. She was active in Temple Israel’s Sisterhood and was asked to write notes to bereaved families on behalf of the temple, which she continued to do until the age of 105.
Ms. Berg currently lives in her own home in the Los Feliz neighborhood of Los Angeles, California (USA).

As of January 26, 2023 Mrs. Berg is the 6th-oldest validated living person in the USA behind Ms. Ceccarelli (114.9), Ms. Plummer (114.5), Ms. Willis (114), Ms. Holblinger (113.8) and Ms. Francis (113.5).

With her parents in 1913.

With her future husband Paul in 1931.

At the age of 109.

In January 2020, aged 110, playing cards with her longtime caregiver Rachel Gelanga.

In January 2020, aged 110.

On her 113th birthday in 2022.

http://www.supercentenariditalia.it/persone-viventi-piu-longeve-in-italia.
Persone viventi più longeve in Italia – Supercentenari d'Italia (supercentenariditalia.it)

diego reacted
(@futurist)
Fan

A shining example of Jewish longevity! 🙂 Still looks like she's in decent shape! 🙂

ReplyQuote
Charlesm09
(@charlesm09)
Fan

Mrs. Berg alive as of today, 14 February 2023, at 113 years, 136 days. Picture from today.

Interested in supercentenarians since 27 July 2018.
First supercentenarian I learned about: Kane Tanaka (1903-2022)

WellAbove110 and ChrisR reacted
ReplyQuote
Charlesm09
(@charlesm09)
Fan

On 25 May 2023, following the sad passing of Ms. Plummer, Ms. Berg became the 11th-oldest validated living person.

diego and Record_116 reacted
ReplyQuote
Ale76
(@ale76)
Supercentenarian Fan
Topic starter  

On 4 July 2023, following the sad passing of Ms. Makishi, Ms. Berg became the 10th-oldest validated living person.

Topic moved to the Top 10 section.

Persone viventi più longeve in Italia – Supercentenari d'Italia (supercentenariditalia.it)

diego reacted
ReplyQuote
MrCatlord
(@mrcatlord)
Supercentenarian Fan

Pearl Berg has recently become the third-oldest Jew behind Cecile Klein and Goldie Steinberg 

diego reacted
ReplyQuote
024Tomi
(@024tomi)
Fan and researcher

@mrcatlord You forgot about Yisrael Kristal.

ESO Correspondent for Hungary (since 2020)
GRG Correspondent for Hungary (2020-2023)
Tracker and researcher of Hungarian and other Central European (super)centenarians (since 2016)
Enthusiast of extreme longevity (since childhood)

ReplyQuote
MrCatlord
(@mrcatlord)
Supercentenarian Fan

@024tomi she already surpassed him (Kristal is 330 days, Pearl is 336, Michelson is 335)

024Tomi and diego reacted
ReplyQuote
MrCatlord
(@mrcatlord)
Supercentenarian Fan

Happy Birthday Mrs. Berg

Finally the top ten is 114+ again

diego reacted
ReplyQuote
ChrisR
(@chrisr)
Fan

And hopefully without straying too far from the main topic, the average age for the top 10 appeared to reach 115.0, 2 days earlier (29 Sep).

diego reacted
ReplyQuote
Ale76
(@ale76)
Supercentenarian Fan
Topic starter  

On 12 December 2023, following the sad passing of Ms. Tatsumi, Ms. Berg became the 9th-oldest validated living person.

diego reacted
ReplyQuote
MrCatlord
(@mrcatlord)
Supercentenarian Fan

Pearl is now the last person born in October 1909, and with Matsubara's death there are no months left before 1910 with two people; following Tane and Efrain's deaths this title would now belong to May 1910 which until recently still had three people

ReplyQuote
Charlesm09
(@charlesm09)
Fan

Pearl Berg’s son updated me on her condition as of 31 January 2024:

“Hi, Charles,
The dear Mom is fading fast. We must be prepared for her passing. You added so much support and interest in her these last years for which we are so grateful.
Kind regards,
Robert Berg”

MrCatlord reacted
ReplyQuote
MrCatlord
(@mrcatlord)
Supercentenarian Fan

@charlesm09 I am sad to hear about this news. I hope she is able to be at peace when the time comes

It is nice to think that your interest in supercentenarians has given her incentive to stay with us longer

Charlesm09 reacted
ReplyQuote
adancho
(@adancho)
Supercentenarian Fan

Posted by: @charlesm09

“Hi, Charles,
The dear Mom is fading fast. We must be prepared for her passing. You added so much support and interest in her these last years for which we are so grateful.
Kind regards,
Robert Berg”

That sounds really bad worrisome*...

If the moment is imminent, let us hope that it she can pass without pain and in peace.

* edited by Admin to soften the comment.

Kane Tanaka (1903-2022) my favorite supercentenarian of all time.

Charlesm09 and MrCatlord reacted
ReplyQuote
ChrisR
(@chrisr)
Fan

Thank you and well spoken to those involved in this sensitive matter to date.

Lets ensure we respect the family privacy and all associated issues on this matter.

ReplyQuote
Admin
(@admin)
Administrator Admin

Posted by: @charlesm09

“Hi, Charles,
Kind regards,
Robert Berg”

Dear Charles,

although it's very kind of you to share this family update about Mrs Berg with us, are you sure you've received the family's permission to share it with an online, global community? Just asking to make sure. 😊 

ReplyQuote
Admin
(@admin)
Administrator Admin

Posted by: @adancho

If the moment is imminent, let us hope that it she can pass without pain and in peace.

Dear adancho,

You've been told on more than one occasion to closely look at the use of "he," "she," and "it" in English. My advice: when you put something in Google Translate, please make sure to add "ella" in Spanish before translating it. This will probably lead to fewer (disrespectful) mistakes.

ReplyQuote
adancho
(@adancho)
Supercentenarian Fan

Posted by: @admin

Posted by: @adancho

Dear adancho,

You've been told on more than one occasion to closely look at the use of "he," "she," and "it" in English. My advice: when you put something in Google Translate, please make sure to add "ella" in Spanish before translating it. This will probably lead to fewer (disrespectful) mistakes.

Sorry, thanks for making me see my mistake, I didn't realize it.

I'll be more careful next time. 😊

Kane Tanaka (1903-2022) my favorite supercentenarian of all time.

ReplyQuote
Ale76
(@ale76)
Supercentenarian Fan
Topic starter  

Topic updated and moved. RIP Ms. Berg.

diego reacted
ReplyQuote
Share: