8 Posts
4 Users
10 Reactions
MrCatlord
(@mrcatlord)
Supercentenarian Fan
Topic starter  

Dollie Berry of Brooklyn, New York, USA, turns 110 on 7 March 2024

(I originally wrote 2 March but it has been pointed out that she was born on 7 March)

Happy Birthday

https://bronx.news12.com/brooklyn-resident-celebrates-110th-birthday

diego reacted
024Tomi
(@024tomi)
Fan and researcher

It's funny that GRG has already made her pending with a DOB of 2 March 1914, since only 6 seconds into the report, it's said she's turning 110 years old "in just a few days" (so she couldn't have been born on 2 March), and by a simple Google search one can find out that she was actually born on 7 March (100th birthday). Not to mention she's listed as "Dolly Berry", whereas she consistently goes by "Dollie". It's insane how a "scientific" organization can ignore such things...

I don't know if this has already been mentioned, but Dollie had a 108-year-old sister, Laura Annie Elizabeth Booten Hoffman (26 Mar 1912 - 27 Sep 2020).

Β 

ESO Correspondent for Hungary (since 2020)
GRG Correspondent for Hungary (2020-2023)
Tracker and researcher of Hungarian and other Central European (super)centenarians (since 2016)
Enthusiast of extreme longevity (since childhood)

MrCatlord and Ale76 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@olliegrg)
Supercentenarian Fan

@024tomiΒ 

Pending simply means pending while more research is done.Β 

As for her name, some documents go by Dolly, others Dollie.

I would also say that there are quite a few articles about her birthday - not many said 'in a few days'. As she celebrated her birthday on the 2nd, it would appear, then it could be assumed that was her claimed birth date. I did, however, discover two documents online for her which said March 7th 1914. So simply because she is on the public pending table with a particular DOB, doesn't mean she will be validated as such when the time comes πŸ™‚

diego reacted
ReplyQuote
024Tomi
(@024tomi)
Fan and researcher

@olliegrg Isn't the effort of confirming at least the real claimed DOB before putting it on the GRG site worth it? I don't think you've found any sources indicating she was born on 2 March. An experienced researcher like you should know that people don't always celebrate their birthday on their exact birthday.

What's the point of the pending table then? By your logic, 125-year-old Brazilian claims could be put there, because "being on the pending table with a particular DOB doesn't mean they will be validated as such".Β 

Tracker and researcher of Hungarian and other Central European (super)centenarians (since 2016)

ReplyQuote
ChrisR
(@chrisr)
Fan

Fair points made, but this appears to be a birthday thread.

Congratulations and happy birthday Ms Berry.

ReplyQuote
024Tomi
(@024tomi)
Fan and researcher

@chrisr You're right, and I'll wish Dollie Berry a happy birthday when she reaches it on Thursday.

ChrisR reacted
ReplyQuote
(@olliegrg)
Supercentenarian Fan

@024tomiΒ 

Fair point, I know that some do not celebrate on their actual birthdays. I must admit, when watching that particular video report of her birthday, I did not notice the reporter say 'in a few days'. At the time I added her to the table I had not seen the 100th birthday report you mentioned, but I had seen enough evidence on genealogy sites to see her claim to birth in March 1914 was likely. But I have changed it on the table to the 7th now, since the evidence does point that way.

As for the '125 year old' Brazilian claims, no, of course they would not be listed. There would need to be a hell of a lot of evidence to even get them pending.

But the whole point of the pending list is just to show that these people's age claims are under investigation as there is some evidence to show their claim is true. They are still being completed or awaiting review.

diego reacted
ReplyQuote
024Tomi
(@024tomi)
Fan and researcher

She turns 110 today. Happy birthday!

diego reacted
ReplyQuote
Share: