South Korea

4 Posts
4 Users
11 Likes
 siam
(@siam)
Fan
Topic starter  

I find interesting that South Korea, a rich country from Eastern Asia, has not many known SCs. But Japan, a country located in the same area and with similar wealth and development, reports lots of SC cases per year.

Why is this? Maybe it's because the birth certificates from Korea are not as complete as the japanese ones?

Record_116 and diego reacted
024Tomi
(@024tomi)
Fan and researcher

I'm pretty sure there have been many dozens of Korean supercentenarians, possibly over a hundred. The reason we don't know about them is partly because, as far as I know, there are no periodical official lists published, and nobody from Korea (who could've potentially researched them in local media) has ever been the part of our "Western" community (based around the GRG and The 110 Club, originally).

ESO Correspondent for Hungary (since 2020)
GRG Correspondent for Hungary (2020-2023)
Tracker and researcher of Hungarian and other Central European (super)centenarians (since 2016)
Enthusiast of extreme longevity (since childhood)

Record_116, siam, Sailor Haumea and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Record_116
(@record_116)

It amazes me how poor the Korean Wikipedia oldest people's article is...Lucile Randon and Sarah Knauss' page still not exist in Korean Wikipedia. A Japanese user is maintain the only one supercentenarian ranking table on Korean Wikipedia.

There are people in Japan, Taiwan, and China who have a strong interest in supercentenarians, but I feel that there are none in Korea, which I feel it is one of the biggest mistery in the global fan community.

Born 3 Feburuary 1999. Founder of 5ch anonymous message board about longevity (1 January 2012) / Founder and chief administrator, the oldest people research forum in Japan founded in 1 January 2017. Link: 長寿者研究フォーラム (oldestpeopleforum.jp)

siam and diego reacted
ReplyQuote
Mendocino
(@mendocino)
Fan

South Korea has their own Senior Citizens' Day on September 27th. A few Korean (super)centenarians have been mentioned for the occasion:

Yoon Geum-ah (윤금아), who turned 108 (east Asian 109) in 2023:

Lee Chang-hwa (이창화), who turned 111 (east Asian 112) in 2023: 

According to the article, he worked as a teacher in North Korea before later running a pharmacy in South Korea. 

Jeong Kyeong-mook (정경묵), who turned 109 (east Asian 110) on c.16 June 2023:

Park Seok-ran (박석란) turned 108 (east Asian 109) this year: 

Profile picture: Marita Camacho Quirós (1911-Present)

diego, ChrisR and MrCatlord reacted
ReplyQuote
Share: