José Martins (POR) - 110

3 Posts
3 Users
2 Likes
seto2001
(@seto2001)
Fan
Topic starter  

José Martins - of Canical, Madeira, Portugal - celebrated his 110th birthday.

He was born in the same place on 7 March 1912. He is currently oldest living man in Portugal, the second-oldest living Portuguese-born man, and the first known supercentenarian from the island of Madeira.

pre-110th birthday post:

"Today, grandfather José Martins turns 110 splendid years old
Birth: 03/07/12 Baptism: 03/24/12
The grandfather walks with the help of the walker and only doesn't read and write because he doesn't know, which he is disgusted with. He expresses himself with some ease, is active, and lucidly describes ancient customs, in a tasteful, picturesque way and in some historical episodes of those times. The birthday person advises, optimism to those who want to live long. He must be one of the oldest people in the country and is certainly the oldest pensioner of the Baleeira company, where he worked as a “farinheiro” until the end of the said Company.
The physical appearance, dry but tough, indicates much, less age. The lucidity and memory that he displays, retains, still very clear, curious episodes that he witnessed during his long life and he enjoys evoking with a firm and sonorous voice, attesting to the solidity of Caniçalense's lungs. He was born in the parish, current village of Caniçal, and expresses hopes of turning 111 in March next year.
As I asked him if he attributes his enviable physical strength to some special diet, he exclaimed, smiling:
- No sir! I eat and drink what I want, sometimes there is a «copito», outside of meals…
I, as a grandson, say:
- I wish I had my grandfather's health and joy! I've never known him sick or in a bad mood. The grandfather used to say the following: Whoever wants to live a lot, do as I do, welcome the reverse of life with serenity, giving it less importance than it really presents, don't get discouraged, never get discouraged, even in the face of the greatest annoyances, he adds, now I will give you a «recipe», my grandson, which may seem strange to you, but which has worked well: sing a lot, sing every day, a modinha, the one you like the most...!
And as an example, the grandfather sang a melodious song, learned when he worked when he took care of the cattle that grazed freely in the open fields located in PS Lourenço or in the grass harvest with the sickle in hand together with other countrymen in the area. aforementioned…
For such a happy birthday, the whalers (his co-workers), friends, family wish that the years continue to run through Mr. José Martins, with the same vivacity and youth that he still shows today."

110th birthday video

Happy birthday!

LAS Member/Administrator (since January 2020)
ESO Correspondent for Croatia (since 2 August 2021)

stoa-oid reacted
Ale76
(@ale76)
Supercentenarian Fan

Happy 110th Birthday, Mr. Martins, Doyen of Portugal!

http://www.supercentenariditalia.it/persone-viventi-piu-longeve-in-italia.
Persone viventi più longeve in Italia – Supercentenari d'Italia (supercentenariditalia.it)

stoa-oid reacted
ReplyQuote
stoa-oid
(@stoa-oid)
Fan

Happy Birthday, Mr Martins.

Mr Martins seems to be in a fantastic shape.

ReplyQuote
Share: