14 Users
14 Likes
Ell
 Ell
(@ell)
Fan
Topic starter  

Dear all,

It is with the very heaviest of hearts and a tremendous degree of sadness that I inform you that Ada Thompson passed away yesterday morning. It was very peaceful, and she had family members at her side. 

Ada was a remarkable lady, with a very kind and loving family who loved her as she loved them. They were exceptionally proud of her position amongst Britain's oldest people, and took great interest and pride in her as she surpassed various milestones, such as becoming the very last known surviving 1910-born Brit. They would very graciously provide me with updates and pictures, and last year even facilitated me video calling her - this was a very special occasion for me and I got a valuable chance to personally connect with someone who had, throughout her exceptionally long life, witnessed a great number of important historical events and acquired a great degree of wisdom and contentedness. We discussed subjects such as what we liked to watch on television, and I was shown the birthday card she had gotten from the Queen upon reaching her 111th birthday - every time she got a new one, it would be placed prominently in her room and her family would take the old one for safekeeping (since she did not want them getting damaged!)

On her 112th birthday, Rob and I sent her a card that we made, which contained a portrait that Robbie drew of her. The picture I have of her holding this card makes me smile every time I look at it. Ada was not just "one of the oldest people in Britain" - she was someone I personally knew and connected with and who, in a way, felt like family. When I was told of this news yesterday, time seemed to stand still just for a short while - it really did feel like she would go on forever.

Ada will be remembered as someone who truly pushed the outer edges of longevity, but most importantly she will be remembered as a kind, loving, and special lady who was cherished by all those who knew her. We tend to measure the lives of the longest-lived in years and days, but that is merely a measure of length - life should be measured in terms of joy and fulfilment, and Ada certainly packed a lot of that in to her years.

Rest in peace, Ada Thompson.

Ollie, Gabriel_PT, diego and 2 people reacted
(@930310)
Gerontology student

Rest in peace Mrs. Thompson.

ReplyQuote
Marco
(@marco)
Fan

Rest in peace, Mrs Thompson.

I am so sorry for your loss, Ell. It sounds like the two of you had a special connection.

Overduidelijk misschien.

Ell reacted
ReplyQuote
 FEW
(@few)
Fan

Rest in eternal peace, Ms. Ada Thompson (1910-2023).

ReplyQuote
Ale76
(@ale76)
Supercentenarian Fan

Very sad. RIP Ms. Thompson.

http://www.supercentenariditalia.it/persone-viventi-piu-longeve-in-italia.
Persone viventi più longeve in Italia – Supercentenari d'Italia (supercentenariditalia.it)

ReplyQuote
ChrisR
(@chrisr)
Fan

Rest in Peace Mrs Thompson.

And an excellent tribute from you Ell. Congratulations on the relationship you managed to form with Mrs Thompson, but very sad for you right now.

Ell and diego reacted
ReplyQuote
Fabri21
(@fabri21)
Fan

Rest in peace, Mrs. Ada Thompson. My deepest condolences to her family, friends and you, Elli. She was a very cheerful woman, and won't be forgotten. 

LAS administrator and member since 12 January 2020.
Global Supercentenarian Forum member since 1 March 2022.

Ell reacted
ReplyQuote
024Tomi
(@024tomi)
Fan and researcher

May she rest in peace.

ESO Correspondent for Hungary (since 2020)
GRG Correspondent for Hungary (2020-2023)
Tracker and researcher of Hungarian and other Central European (super)centenarians (since 2016)
Enthusiast of extreme longevity (since childhood)

ReplyQuote
Methuselah
(@methuselah)
Fan

Rest in peace Ada.

diego reacted
ReplyQuote
Ollie
(@ollie)
Fan

Rest in peace, Ada. 

GRG Administrative Assistant for Database Administration (27 February 2016 – 18 November 2022)

diego reacted
ReplyQuote
Charlesm09
(@charlesm09)
Fan

Very sad to read this news. Rest in eternal peace, Mrs. Ada Thompson (1910-2023). My sincere condolences, Ell.

Interested in supercentenarians since 27 July 2018.
First supercentenarian I learned about: Kane Tanaka (1903-2022)

Ell and diego reacted
ReplyQuote
JimJim00
(@jimjim00)
Fan

R.I.P. Ada Thompson.

ReplyQuote
 siam
(@siam)
Fan

Rest in peace to the vice-doyen of UK.

ReplyQuote