Mabel Mah (CAN, 1910-2024)

7 Posts
3 Users
7 Likes
MrCatlord
(@mrcatlord)
Supercentenarian Fan
Topic starter  

M.M. has been the oldest person in Canada since the death of Shige Mineshiba in January 2023 and the oldest Canadian-born person since the death of Yvonne Delorme-Martel in 2022. She was born to Chinese immigrants on July 4th 1910 in Victoria, British Columbia, Canada, which I believe makes her the oldest validated person of Chinese descent and the oldest person of Asian heritage born elsewhere. She currently resides in the same city she was born in. As of this topic starter post she is 113 years and 59 days old. She is validated by the GRG and LQ. Her family would like her to stay anonymous (although the GRG has made her name public)

On her 100th birthday 

On her 109th birthday

On her 111th birthday 

Here is part of the message her granddaughter posted on her 100th birthday:

https://web.archive.org/web/20210306042653/http://www.jonimar.com/happy-100th-birthday-granny/?fbclid=IwAR3SAiO9PLB-OgL7f_0XYn2ZOhoGElWLdE71qtd-G0xCRJDZnW1N0yT8HJs

As a young girl she was always invited to play baseball with the boys because she was the best batter and could knock 3 people off the bases with one smack.  She was also an amazing sprinter.  Granny can still remember 1924 when a quart of jersey milk was 17 cents, bread 7 cents and butter 40 cents.
Remarkably well preserved for her age, she is also as a sharp as a tack and doesn’t miss a thing.  She has an uncanny 6th sense – knows when she needs to call me or protect me with white light.  She recently reminded me to always trust and rely on my intuition which she says I inherited from her.  Granny was widowed at 42, put down her glasses at 60 and hasn’t needed them since.  She still lives in the same downtown apartment on her own as she has for over 30 years.  She walks elegantly upright and unaided, cooks, shops, and socializes each day with by passers in the neighbourhood.
She’s vibrant, independent, spirited, and forthright. A charming matriarch with sparkling eyes, she makes fast friends and a lasting impression where ever she goes.  Certainly it’s because she is naturally co-active.  Though she has the wisdom of age and experience she much more coach-like than a sage.  She is far more interested in hearing what you think than telling you what she thinks.  However, she will be sure to let you know if you step out of line.  No matter who you are.

diego and Ale76 reacted
Record_116
(@record_116)

I heard that "Fourth July" is sometimes used as a substitute when there is no date of birth, just like as 1 January. This is the independence day of the most famous country in the modern world.

This date reminds me of Gertrude Weaver, who said to be probably born in April, not 4th July.

Born 3 Feburuary 1999. Founder of 5ch anonymous message board about longevity (1 January 2012) / Founder and chief administrator, the oldest people research forum in Japan founded in 1 January 2017. Link: 長寿者研究フォーラム (oldestpeopleforum.jp)

ReplyQuote
MrCatlord
(@mrcatlord)
Supercentenarian Fan
Topic starter  

@record_116 because Fourth of July is the US’s Independence Day it would be much more likely to happen in the US. MM’s birthdate has been validated by two organizations and I haven’t heard anything about another possible birthdate so I would be almost 100% sure her birthdate is July 4th

diego reacted
ReplyQuote
MrCatlord
(@mrcatlord)
Supercentenarian Fan
Topic starter  

M.M. has surpassed Reita Fennell’s age

She is now the 11th oldest person to ever reside in Canada and 9th oldest Canadian-born person 

diego and Ale76 reacted
ReplyQuote
MrCatlord
(@mrcatlord)
Supercentenarian Fan
Topic starter  

Mrs. Mah has been doyenne of Canada for an entire year now, and also recently reached 113.5, and even with the unvalidated Japanese cases is in the top 20

ChrisR reacted
ReplyQuote
MrCatlord
(@mrcatlord)
Supercentenarian Fan
Topic starter  

RIP Mabel Mah (1910-2024)

Oldest validated person of Chinese descent

ReplyQuote
Ale76
(@ale76)
Supercentenarian Fan

Topic updated and moved. RIP Ms. Mah.

http://www.supercentenariditalia.it/persone-viventi-piu-longeve-in-italia.
Persone viventi più longeve in Italia – Supercentenari d'Italia (supercentenariditalia.it)

diego reacted
ReplyQuote
Share: