Age-exaggeration in the Balkans

11 Posts
4 Users
3 Likes
Dejan
(@dejan)
Centenarian
Topic starter  

I was born on 17 December 2003. (in some documents I managed to increase to 1999) / (to retire earlier, as many cases from the Balkans have done), I was baptized in 2017 (And then I told the priest to write a few more years in my baptismal certificate).

ReZet reacted
024Tomi
(@024tomi)
Fan and researcher

@dejan I imagine how sad future researchers will be in 2109 when they're thinking you're a legitimate 110-year-old Serbian male but then find out you're only 106😕

ESO Correspondent for Hungary (since 2020)
GRG Correspondent for Hungary (2020-2023)
Tracker and researcher of Hungarian and other Central European (super)centenarians (since 2016)
Enthusiast of extreme longevity (since childhood)

ReplyQuote
Dejan
(@dejan)
Centenarian
Topic starter  

@024tomi Someone has to preserve the tradition, (my great-grandfather lived only 102 years, and he increased it to 108) / and received a pension 10 years earlier. I hope to really be 110 years old, (I have enough evidence that I was born in 2003) / I will never claim to be older. it may only help me a little, and I certainly have an original document about my birth that confirms 2003 (I will save it all and wait to be a Super centenarian), I regularly listen to the advice of all Super Centuries and write them down, so I should be the oldest, somewhere there in 2113... There are a lot of people in my village who are over 90, (actually 80-85), who have never appeared in public. I got advice from them...

ReplyQuote
(@930310)
Gerontology student

@dejan I don't think that this is a healthy attitude to your life, age-exaggeration from your early years just to retire early...

Dejan reacted
ReplyQuote
Dejan
(@dejan)
Centenarian
Topic starter  

@930310 Нe who fails to increase his years in his youth will hardly be able to increase later. In my case, it’s not much just 4 years, (I better be some more). But it doesn't matter. But I say that there are still such cases in my environment. The Balkans remain the Balkans.

if I'm a centenarian, I'll never claim to be older, but I'll prove it the way it is.

There is nothing wrong with that, I will get a pension a little earlier, and then it will be easy to correct. And maybe it didn't mean anything to me, but it won't hurt me, because then in 2060 when I retire, the retirement age will probably be (70+), currently it's 65 / and in the future 2063 who knows how much to be... 

ReplyQuote
(@pavlos123)
Fan

Posted by: @dejan

I was born on 17 December 2003. (in some documents I managed to increase to 1999) / (to retire earlier, as many cases from the Balkans have done), I was baptized in 2017 (And then I told the priest to write a few more years in my baptismal certificate).

A fellow 2003er 😁

Anyway it sounds strange that it is possible to do this even in modern era . During the school years you were considered born in 1999?

ReplyQuote
Dejan
(@dejan)
Centenarian
Topic starter  

@pavlos123 No, the school book is 2003. The health book is also 2003 / ID card is the same 2003 (for now). Just baptism in 1999 (because I was baptized in 2017, then the oldest inhabitants of my village advised me to say a little more).

with us, it is the case that the registrar for a liter of brandy will help you and increase your age (of course, where, in the city it certainly will not, and in a small village it is still possible, I think I'm the last to do so).

Pavlos123 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@930310)
Gerontology student

@dejan Do you not have a central registration system? If you were born in a hospital or probably anywhere in the country your birth would have been recorded in 2003. How could you possibly be able to "prove" that you were born in 1999 when all documents from your early-life suggest otherwise? This isn't the 1800s, where you could get away with claiming a different age since there was no central registration system.

ReplyQuote
Dejan
(@dejan)
Centenarian
Topic starter  

@930310 That there is evidence in the hospital in Sremska Mitrovica that I was born in 2003. I was entered in the register of births in February 2004 (dated 17.12.2003).

It will be a bit of a problem how to change the system, but the baptismal certificate says 1999 (and when necessary, I will measure with the registrar) / better as soon as possible.

I'm just saying baptism says 1999, the rest I haven't changed anything, but since I'm from a small village, I can pretend that I was later enrolled and brought the original baptism record from 2017.

It is not difficult for retirement, no one will ask from the hospital (only in the case of Validation). a baptismal certificate from the Serbian Orthodox Church is enough for retirement.

ReplyQuote
(@930310)
Gerontology student

@dejan Don't you think things will be a bit more organized in 45-50 years when you retire? I doubt you will be able to get away with a baptismal record from when you were "17" to claim retirement.

ReplyQuote
Dejan
(@dejan)
Centenarian
Topic starter  

@930310 So we can't predict that. But I can predict that the census will rise to more (maybe even 70).

If they ask for something more, then nothing for anyone. They never asked for a report from the hospital, a birth certificate (it can be moved at any time). cancel the 2004 record and add it in 1999 (or temporarily hide it). It is located in the local community in the village, and I visit them every day, it is not a problem. The problem is how to add 1999 to the ID card instead of 2003, but when it changes in the system, then they will change as well. .as for the Baptism and the birth record, I can change that whenever I want. (Neighbor priest, registrar acquaintance).

Only that ID card, I'm not sure... and it's also not worth the degree I need to get in 2 months. (so there's little chance I'll change anything over the years and decades). I completely agree, nowadays it is very difficult, but it is not impossible...

ReplyQuote
Share: