About uncredited re...

Notifications
Clear all

About uncredited reprinting of Japanese longevity forum's materials to GSF.

7 Posts
4 Users
7 Likes
Record_116
(@record_116)

Topic starter  

About uncredited reprinting of Japanese longevity forum's materials to GSF.

I posted too much here from March to April this year (why I did that? I guess no one will understand my sad feelings, but it's an another story.), and I know some of the members feel uncomfortable with me, so I don't want to create too many topics like criticizing others. But I still have to say this, for sake of the kind members of the Japanese forums.

To be clearfy, Fiskje88 (Mr. @marco) is the person doing this primarily. In recently (due to the high amount of information being released by the Japanese government and media nearing Respect for the Aged Day), many materials and sources' URLs posted by a Japanese user in Japanese longevity forum (URL of that forum is indicated in my signature) are being posted to this forum (=GSF) with uncredited.

The prime example is "日本県別最高齢者 (Japanese "Respect for the Aged Day," September 2022)" thread:

https://globalsupercentenarianforum.com/index.php/community/countriesjapan/%e6%97%a5%e6%9c%ac%e7%9c%8c%e5%88%a5%e6%9c%80%e9%ab%98%e9%bd%a2%e8%80%85-japanese-respect-for-the-aged-day-september-2022/

You might be offended if another user named "A" reposted the information you were found on another forum and then "A" pretended to have found it.

In fact, I remember that a one minute before Ueda's thread was created in this forum (GSF), he also visited The 110 Club and his name appeared in the online user list.

In my case, I made a thread reporting Mr. Mikizo Ueda's death on The 110 Club, and I wrote the name of the Japanese member who firstly found the source of Ueda's death (signalrailfan1206) there as well. I forgot sometimes that a while ago, and I apologize for that.

I guess Mr. Marco a.k.a. Fiskje88 most probably didn't find the information by searching for it himself, but posted an information found by someone else on another forum to the GSF without credit.

I know you have no bad intentions and this post of mine is not meant to offend anyone. However, in order to prevent any misunderstandings from anyone, I hope you will accept my statement.

---------------------------------------------

The death of Mr. Mikizo Ueda, the 2-years oldest living man in Japan titleholder was the impetus for creating this thread, but I've known for some time that information discovered by Japanese members in Japanese forums was reprinted on this forum site without credit by GSF members.

I guess Mr. Marco a.k.a. Fiskje88 is not the only member posting uncredited. There have been a number of possible or suspected cases. I decided to make this sentence today to let other members know.

There may be cultural differences between me, who is East Asian, and you on GSF, who are mostly European, and some of you may not agree with all of my opinions. But even so, Mr. Marco at least copied and pasted information from Japanese forums on The 110 Club previously, clearly naming the original poster:

For example: [1] [2] [3]

In those threads he credited Hydepark for finding it. I would like you to do the same thing as much as possible in the GSF.

Also as a small note, sorry if this is superfluous, but another reason is that "writing the credits" will prevent a criticize towards you from certain Polish "GRG correspondent" titleholder. I can't give here a private story, but he seemed to know what you were doing here.

---------------------------------------------

I will point out actions that Japanese forum members may find offensive. Members of the Japan's forum are very peaceful and friendly. It's a very peaceful community that has never admins did a ban/suspension towards members exclude only one person for even one minutes or seconds in the last nearly 6 years since it's founding. And Japanese fans are shocked and saddened by the sad deaths of Mrs. Kane Tanaka and Mr. Mikizo Ueda. I think crediting contributors when transcribing information from Japanese forums to the GSF is a way to show respect for them.

If I was the person who find a source of the information ( = the person who first discovered an information was me), you don't have to say "this information was brought by Record_116". However, if the information is provided by a Japanese longevity forum member other than a user named Record_116, I hope the GSF members to write a credit.

In other words, I wrote this sentence not for me, but for other Japanese members of Japanese longevity research forum. Many Japanese people value honor, and some people may not like "uncredit" copy and paste posts.

Best Regards,

Ayuta_T / Record_116

Born 3 Feburuary 1999. Founder of 5ch anonymous message board about longevity (1 January 2012) / Founder and chief administrator, the oldest people research forum in Japan founded in 1 January 2017. Link: 長寿者研究フォーラム (oldestpeopleforum.jp)

Marco
(@marco)
Fan

Hi Ayuta,

Thank you for your elaborate post. I see you address an issue that is a hot topic over on the 110 Club.

I can imagine that for some Japanese members honour is an issue and they feel uncomfortable with the fact that I post information that is posted on the Japanese forum over here. However, I would hope - for them! - that they don't need a spokesperson, and that if they have an issue with me doing this, they'd contact me about it themselves. Obviously, I'd be willing to credit them if they found this necessary.

Yet, I don't entirely understand your way of thinking. In all my posts, I've added the primary source (such as city statistics) where possible, and in other posts I've directly linked to a post on the Japanese forum if that original post didn't provide a primary source (thus crediting that poster). To me, what you are saying is that, in addition to reporting the source, I should also credit every person who first breaks that news, and that this is thus more important (because you've spent a lengthy post about this) than mentioning the primary source. I'm surprised that you find this way of reasoning - making the person reporting news bigger and more important than the actual news itself - the acceptable thing to do.

As for reporting Mikizō Ueda's death, I can guarantee to you that I literally read this on the Japanese forum, not on the 110 Club. After having posted here, I went to the 110 Club to check whether his death had been reported there, and I noticed it had. I'm sorry to read you've constructed your own truth in your post.

Finally, I also notice you've referenced the 110 Club, and in particular Waclaw Jan's presence over there. I think the reason why I am much more careful on the 110 Club than over here is well-known to you. So, if Waclaw Jan has an issue with me, then he should contact me himself.

Once more, if Japanese members are offended by my behaviour, then I heartily invite them to come and talk to me. I am not the evil mastermind that some have made me out to be.

Overduidelijk misschien.

Ale76 and Amck reacted
ReplyQuote
Aquanaut
(@aquanaut)
Fan

Now @record_116 it may not be my place to say, and I don't like getting involved in this nonsense, but I think you're overreacting. This is about Mr. Ueda getting the respect he deserves, NOT you.

ReplyQuote
Ale76
(@ale76)
Supercentenarian Fan

Ayuta, don't forget that the credits of all Japanese cases are definitely known by the GRG Japan correspondent.

Alessandro 

http://www.supercentenariditalia.it/persone-viventi-piu-longeve-in-italia.
Persone viventi più longeve in Italia – Supercentenari d'Italia (supercentenariditalia.it)

ReplyQuote
Marco
(@marco)
Fan

Dear all,

I've adjusted the opening post of the September 2022 forum: see here.

This is what I've added to the opening post:

The source for almost all reports and updates in this thread is obviously the Japanese Research Forum, where all information is usually first reported. Among those who help out on the Japanese forum are, in no particular order:

• hydepark
  • hima inosuke
  • kiyo oikawa
  • THI1908
  • Tsubaki-kun
  • Record_116
  • and GRG correspondent Yumi Yamamoto

A big thank you to them for all of their efforts!

I hope this satisfies all members here.

However, @record_116, for me there is still an issue I'd like to discuss. I've noticed that you mainly seem to have an issue with me "not crediting others" (in your view). I haven't seen you singling out any other members that also do this, be it here or over on the 110 Club. To me, that comes across as you having personal beef with me, so I was wondering if I am seeing this correctly. Does this solely stem from the fact that I feel safer here on the Global Supercentenarian Forum than on the 110 Club (where everything I do is placed under a magnifying glass)?

Also, if, according to you, I am the only one / primarily the one showing this behaviour, then why haven't you taken the trouble to contact me personally via the personal messages system? Why did you feel the need to spend a public post about this, in which you are basically chastising only me for something many others - including active 110 Club members, where I haven't seen this type of post - are also doing?

Just curious... 🙂 To me, your post comes across as a very coordinated and planned one.

Overduidelijk misschien.

kiyo oikawa, ChrisR, 930310 and 2 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Record_116
(@record_116)

Topic starter  

Thanks for adding a sentence of "The source for almost all reports and updates in this thread is obviously the Japanese Research Forum...", Mr. Marco. I'm glad to see that.

Also, thanks for your post in the Japanese forum.

I didn't create this thread because you are doing the uncredited post. I would have made the same thread even if other members were doing the same thing. If I had TM rights, I would have posted this elsewhere.

There may be more to say, but it wouldn't be a good idea to continue here, and I'm not very interested in doing so. Thanks.

Born 3 Feburuary 1999. Founder of 5ch anonymous message board about longevity (1 January 2012) / Founder and chief administrator, the oldest people research forum in Japan founded in 1 January 2017. Link: 長寿者研究フォーラム (oldestpeopleforum.jp)

ReplyQuote
Record_116
(@record_116)

Topic starter  

A late, but again I'm apologize for making a comment which Mr. Marco uncomfortable with my comment, which can make a bad atmosphere towards this community.

(In fact I was influenced by Waclaw's private comments at the time. I'm already sent an apology message privately to Mr. Marco.)

ReplyQuote
Share: