Nikola Koprivica (BIH, 1857?–1966)

11 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
Dejan
(@dejan)
Centenarian
Topic starter  

Nikola Koprivica [Bosnian: Никола Копривица] (~October 1857? – ~March 1966) was a Bosnian centenarian who, at the time of his death, was the oldest person in Yugoslavia and today's Bosnia and Herzegovina. He was also a great hero and freedom fighter, a fearless fighter against a foreign occupier and an eternal rebel against injustice.

Biography

Nikola was allegedly born 1857 in the village of Vogosca near Sarajevo, where his father and a group of relatives moved from Banjani.

On Vidovdan 1914 in Sarajevo, as a member of the liberation organization "Young Bosnia", Nikola Koprivica participated with numerous comrades in the assassination of Franz Ferdinand. His wife Sofia blamed him for this much-written operation.

For a time, he was the claimed oldest man to ever live in Bosnia and Herzegovina, until his record was broken 50 years later by Jovan Jovanovic, who lived 110 years and 15 days.

Koprivica died in Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina in 1966, at the claimed age of 108 years, 150+ days.

Source
  1. ВЕЛИКИ РОДОЉУБ И ВЈЕЧИТИ БУНТОВНИК

(@ryoung122)
Senior Consultant for Gerontology, Guinness World Records

Posted by: @dejan

Nikola Koprivica [Bosnian: Никола Копривица] (27 October 1857 – 30 March 1966) was a Bosnian centenarian who, at the time of his death, was the oldest person in Yugoslavia and today's Bosnia and Herzegovina. He was also a great hero and freedom fighter, a fearless fighter against a foreign occupier and an eternal rebel against injustice.

Biography

Nikola was born on 27 October  1857 in the village of Vogosca near Sarajevo, where his father and a group of relatives moved from Banjani.

On Vidovdan 1914 in Sarajevo, as a member of the liberation organization "Young Bosnia", Nikola Koprivica participated with numerous comrades in the assassination of Franz Ferdinand. His wife Sofia blamed him for this much-written operation.

For a time, he was the oldest man to ever live in Bosnia and Herzegovina, until his record was broken 50 years later by Jovan Jovanovic, who lived 110 years and 15 days.

Koprivica died in Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina, on 30 March 1966, at the age of 108 years, 154 days.

Source
  1. ВЕЛИКИ РОДОЉУБ И ВЈЕЧИТИ БУНТОВНИК

Where did you copy this from? Given the earliness of the case we should be a little suspect.

Also, I would be wary of "freedom fighter" which is a political opinion, not fact. Many see assassination plots as "terrorism".

ReplyQuote
Dejan
(@dejan)
Centenarian
Topic starter  

@ryoung122 This is his biography according to the story of his descendants. So he was a participant in the First World War. And also one of the organizers of the assassination, or he was just a participant. That is, in 1914, he was already an older man. He was also the oldest man ever from Bosnia and Herzegovina, until 50 years later Jovan Jovanovic broke the record. Let me remind you, Jovan Jovanović is documented...

ReplyQuote
(@ryoung122)

@dejan So more correct, Jovan set a new record since there was no prior documented record.

ReplyQuote
Dejan
(@dejan)
Centenarian
Topic starter  

@ryoung122 Yes, but I don't know if it is necessary to look for documents on persons (107-109), from a country, when they did not have 110, therefore they were not Supercentenarians, and the documentation is needed only for Supercentenarians. But I agree that, just in case, the documentation should be checked for centenarians who were there a long time ago. But 1966 is not that far away. So that he died before World War II, then yes, it should be checked in more detail, but since he was only 107 years old and was not a SC, it is not worth wasting time searching. One should focus on True SC cases and have his age confirmed. So claims 110+. (Jovan Jovanović is just one example, and on Gerontology Wiki he was marked as a questionable case for years), but of course it is the Balkans, so I can say that out of the total number of claims, 15% are is real SC...

ReplyQuote
(@ryoung122)

But we know that war claims are less certain to be true. There is an incentive to insert themselves into the story.

ReplyQuote
(@ryoung122)

Also, if the claim is a 'record' for the time or location then it should be checked even if below 110.

ReplyQuote
Dejan
(@dejan)
Centenarian
Topic starter  

@ryoung122 There were also those, especially the Balkan cases. So he was born in a small village where it was not customary to register in the birth register, but it is good that there is a baptismal certificate in the Church, but it is unlikely that it is possible to prove his age, because especially those Centenarians from the Hills and Mountains. Also one example Djurdja Stojković from Serbia, son claims that she was born in 1908, so I checked everything possible, but there is no evidence that she was born in 1908 (except for one birth certificate for her son from 1945). Also her youngest son is 59 years old, and the eldest daughter is 92, so her daughter was born in 1929. So I put it in 1913. Although it is registered with the registrar that she was born on 22 October 1922. but since her eldest daughter was born in 1929. That is not possible ... So probably 1913. It is not possible to determine the exact age. This may be the case with the Nikola Koprivica case, but again he is from Bosnia, but certainly a small village and hills and mountains... People are still semi-literate and illiterate, let alone then... (the only thing I haven't checked when it comes to Djurdja Stojković is the census).

ReplyQuote
(@930310)
Gerontology student

@dejan The validity of his claim seems to be a bit suspect, in part due to what @ryoung122 says. Age validation should be done for all data, not just for supercentenarians. Daniel Frederick Bakerman didn't claim to be a supercentenarian but his age claim is still highly suspicious and partially debunked.

ReplyQuote
Dejan
(@dejan)
Centenarian
Topic starter  

This man has no reason to be Suspicious, but the only thing that is suspicious to me is How he could have participated in the First World War at the age of 60. So he was born in 1857, and the First World War lasted (1914-1918), so he was about 60 years old, as someone in those years could have been a General.

So he was not even a General, but a Foreign Mercenary who took part in the assassination of Franz Ferdinand in Sarajevo in 1914...

ReplyQuote
Admin
(@admin)
Administrator Admin

Added more caution.

ReplyQuote
Share: