Bobi the Dog (1992?-2023)

47 Posts
11 Users
32 Likes
Aquanaut
(@aquanaut)
Fan
Topic starter  

I just saw this story on the official YouTube page of Guinness World Record that "Bobi" a dog from Portugal was just crowned "OLDEST DOG EVER RECORDED". As of February 1st 2023, he is currently 30 years & 266 days old! Personally, I had never heard of a dog reaching his 30th birthday and I was amazed by this news!

He's not a human, but I think he deserves and honorable mention here!

Cheers to this wonderful pup! May he thrive on good health for many more years to come!

|Male| ๐ŸŽฎGamer๐ŸŽฎ > ๐Ÿ‘•Fashion Lover๐Ÿ‘• > ๐Ÿ•ถChore Motivator๐Ÿ•ถ
Favorite Male SC: Juan Vicente Pรฉrez Mora
Favorite Female SCs: Lucile Randon & Kane Tanaka
๐Ÿ˜And the kind of guy that's always down to chat๐Ÿ˜

diego, Gabriel_PT and ChrisR reacted
(@930310)
Gerontology student

Not a chance that this is the same dog. Check the pictures from the 1990s, it's a completely different pattern on the paws etc.

ReplyQuote
Gabriel_PT
(@gabriel_pt)
Fan

This dog has been very publicized here in Portugal! I believe that he is really 30 years old, mainly because of his physical appearance and the lifestyle he had. Furthermore, he was registered in 1992 and there are documents from the vet. Recent health checks have also been done to confirm Bobi's age.

Here is a report made a few days ago by a Portuguese TV channel (in Portuguese):

Coisas do Arco da Velha: este รฉ o Bobi, tem 30 anos e รฉ o cรฃo mais velho de sempre - CNN Portugal (iol.pt)

ESO Correspondent for Portugal

ReplyQuote
(@viitos)
Fan

Eating only human food is the secret of Bobi!

But a rare genetic background obviously influenced.

Congratulations on the GWR title 🐶🌟

diego and Gabriel_PT reacted
ReplyQuote
(@930310)
Gerontology student

The sloppy requirements for documentation used here are at an even lesser degree than was used on cases such as Martha Graham and Shigechiyo Izumi, both once considered validated by the GWR.

Also note how this alleged dog has one of those fantastic, rare backstories and diets that are common in extreme longevity claims. Also it's in a country that has poor registration of pets.

The coat is that of a younger dog, not what one would expect in a dog above 10. It's a medium sized dog and it's very overweight.

ย 

To put it in perspective, this would be the equivalent of some obese person in their 60s in a country with poor civil registration being recognised by the GWR as the oldest person ever based on them having bribed their physician to say that they are 125 years old and their grandma's ID card.

ReplyQuote
Gabriel_PT
(@gabriel_pt)
Fan

@930310 I can understand your perspective and it's not impossible that you're right, but Bobi's owner said that he even went to the City Council to ask for documents so they could certify the animal. He also says it took 1 year for validation to happen.

You are absolutely right when you said that Portugal has poor registration of pets, I was even surprised that this dog was registered 30 years ago, when even fewer pets were registered, but it's not impossible!ย 

His owner says that Bobi was born when he was 8 years old, and he wasn't supposed to survive because all the puppies were buried alive, but Bobi was forgotten in the straw and the 8-year-old boy hid him from the family until the dog opened its eyes. With his eyes already open, the boy's parents were no longer going to bury the puppy and ended up keeping with him. It's a sad story, but unfortunately it was common in Portugal in the past to do this with puppies and kittens.

The dog was always free, being able to go for a walk in the mountains near the house, and has always eaten his owners' food, which they soak to lose its seasoning.

Bobi's owner said in the tv report that Bobi's mother died at the age of 18, so longevity may run in the "family" (or his owner is a liar).ย 

ESO Correspondent for Portugal

ReplyQuote
Aquanaut
(@aquanaut)
Fan
Topic starter  

I think his case is very strong but you do make a seriously good point about Bobi being overweight.

An overweight animal is more prone to heart disease, diabetes and an early death just like people. There's no way he could have made it to 30 being that overweight his entire life.

Either it's a different dog, or Bobi was a healthy weight most of his life until very recently, in which case if his owner wants to prolong his life, he should put him on a diet immediately. For Bobi's own best interest.ย 

ReplyQuote
Mendocino
(@mendocino)
Fan

Posted by: @930310

The sloppy requirements for documentation used here are at an even lesser degree than was used on cases such as Martha Graham and Shigechiyo Izumi, both once considered validated by the GWR.

Also note how this alleged dog has one of those fantastic, rare backstories and diets that are common in extreme longevity claims. Also it's in a country that has poor registration of pets.

The coat is that of a younger dog, not what one would expect in a dog above 10. It's a medium sized dog and it's very overweight.

ย 

To put it in perspective, this would be the equivalent of some obese person in their 60s in a country with poor civil registration being recognised by the GWR as the oldest person ever based on them having bribed their physician to say that they are 125 years old and their grandma's ID card.

Come on, this is just a completely baseless conspiracy theory. It's really not unusual for fur coloration patterns to change in puppies as they reach maturity.ย 

I'm also not sure what you mean by "the coat is that of a younger dog." Do you believe that all elderly dogs over the age of 10 must have completely white coats? You're also making the assumption that an extremely elderly dog can't be overweight, when in actuality, dogs will generally eat whatever their owner feeds them. If anything, dogs are more prone to gaining excess weight as they age, largely due to decreased activity.

You're attempting to compare the verification of a dog's age to a supercentenarian validation, when the two really aren't comparable, so the proof standard isn't going to be as high. For humans, 30 years isn't a very long time, which is why Bobi has lived with the same owner for his entire life, and likely has many other people alive today who knew him from when he was a puppy. It's a very different situation from a human claiming to be 110, where they would've outlived practically everyone from their childhood.ย 

Also, I don't think a dog reaching 30 is anywhere near equivalent to a human reaching 125.ย 

ย 

Profile picture: Marita Camacho Quirรณs (1911-Present)

ReplyQuote
Aquanaut
(@aquanaut)
Fan
Topic starter  

I think the likeliest scenario here is that Bobi is indeed 30ยฝ years old. To me his coat looks the same as the 90s photos. He was likely at a healthy weight most of his life. The past year or so, he gained weight due to his physical activity decreasing with extreme old age.ย 

If there were pictures of him every few months or so, since when he was a puppy, and IF he was overweight in every picture, then I would doubt his case.ย 

But he does have good records, including the ones from the Portuguese Council.

I have read about several dogs including Bluey, Max, Maggie and Bella who all made it to 29. Yes this is the first time I've heard of a dog making it to 30, but 30 is not 50. If several dogs made it to 29, then 30 (although an unlikely age) is in the realm of possibility.ย 

If Bobi's owners were claiming that he was 50, or even 35 then I would cast doubt on his age. But I think it's safe to say he is with 99% likelihood of being the age he claims.

Gabriel_PT reacted
ReplyQuote
(@930310)
Gerontology student

@mendocino It is not a conspiracy theory.ย  This dog is not the same dog as in the pictures from the 1990s. And as I have said before, there is very little evidence to support the claim that this dog is indeed 30 years old. The level of documentation required should be just the same for animals as for humans. The dog should have proof of birth and identity.

Do you know how many millions of dogs that are born every year? How many of them survive past 25?

I actually know quite a bit about dogs, having studied zoology and ethology for about a year. I never said that a dog has to have a completely white coat. My dog Kia is 12 and she mostly has some grey spotting here and there, especially in the face. This dog is allegedly 2.5 times as old as her and has little to no whitening in his fur, especially in the facial area, which usually is the place one will notice whitening in older dogs in the first place.

ReplyQuote
(@930310)
Gerontology student

Explain how this happened between 1999 and 2023:

Dejan reacted
ReplyQuote
Mendocino
(@mendocino)
Fan

@mendocino It is not a conspiracy theory.ย  This dog is not the same dog as in the pictures from the 1990s. And as I have said before, there is very little evidence to support the claim that this dog is indeed 30 years old. The level of documentation required should be just the same for animals as for humans. The dog should have proof of birth and identity.

Do you know how many millions of dogs that are born every year? How many of them survive past 25?

I actually know quite a bit about dogs, having studied zoology and ethology for about a year. I never said that a dog has to have a completely white coat. My dog Kia is 12 and she mostly has some grey spotting here and there, especially in the face. This dog is allegedly 2.5 times as old as her and has little to no whitening in his fur, especially in the facial area, which usually is the place one will notice whitening in older dogs in the first place.

He definitely has whitening in most of the fur on his back:

ย 

ReplyQuote
Mendocino
(@mendocino)
Fan

-- attachment is not available --

One of my dogs is less than 2 years old, and the fur on her paws went from being black and caramel colored to almost completely white over the course of a single year (she's part Bernese mountain dog), so I don't see how it's that unbelievable for a dog's paws to change that much over the course of around 30 years.ย 

ย 

ReplyQuote
(@930310)
Gerontology student

Posted by: @mendocino

One of my dogs is less than 2 years old, and the fur on her paws went from being black and caramel colored to almost completely white over the course of a single year (she's part Bernese mountain dog), so I don't see how it's that unbelievable for a dog's paws to change that much over the course of around 30 years.ย 

ย 

Only one paw? The dog was allegedly already six years old at the time of the 1999 picture, so it was not a young dog either.

ย 

ReplyQuote
 siam
(@siam)
Fan

Posted by: @aquanaut

I think his case is very strong but you do make a seriously good point about Bobi being overweight.

An overweight animal is more prone to heart disease, diabetes and an early death just like people. There's no way he could have made it to 30 being that overweight his entire life.

Either it's a different dog, or Bobi was a healthy weight most of his life until very recently, in which case if his owner wants to prolong his life, he should put him on a diet immediately. For Bobi's own best interest.ย 

ย 

Well, overweight is not, obviously, a healthy sign. But there are overweighted animals (like humans or dogs) that keep going for several years. I personally know a teckel mix dog who has been overweighted for years (since it was young) and it is 14 years old and still quite well...

This dog was probably a bit fat during most of its life. Also, you may consider that it is a mastiff mix (heavy dogs).

ย 

ReplyQuote
 siam
(@siam)
Fan

ย 

I don't think a single photo can demonstrate it's not the same dog. But it would be interesting to see more old photos of that dog and compare them.

ย 

ReplyQuote
 siam
(@siam)
Fan

ย 

As GWR is an official site, it seems they have solid documentation. Anyway, those documents could be wrong... But I think all dogs of the European Union are signed by a microchip inserted on their necks. Each microchip includes an identity number. If the dog has that number, it's the same dog without a doubt.

In relation to the grey spottings, it depends on the individual. There are old dogs whose face is totally grey and there are others whose face hasn't changed over the years.ย 

But I have to say that this dog looks amazing considering its age. Appart from the lack of whitening, the dog's eyes are perfect (no cataracts, no rheums...) and it moves quite quickly. The oldest dogs I have ever met (that were between 15-17 years) had eyes problems and their overall appearance was absolutely frailer (in fact, most of them were very thin during the last months/years of their lifes).

ย 

ChrisR reacted
ReplyQuote
(@930310)
Gerontology student

@siam When Bobi was allegedly born microchips certainly weren't required and it wasn't required until 2008.

A dog can't change coat pattern in just one front paw, and certainly not from white to brown.ย 

ReplyQuote
 siam
(@siam)
Fan

@siam When Bobi was allegedly born microchips certainly weren't required and it wasn't required until 2008.

A dog can't change coat pattern in just one front paw, and certainly not from white to brown.ย 

ย 

Maybe it was not mandatory the use of microchips during 1990s. But I think they were used too, so there's the possibility that this dog had a microchip since it was born. Also, if the microchip (inserted in 1990s or 2000s) supports it was born in 1992, that's a solid evidence that it was really born in 1992. I mean, official documents would support that... So why not verify it?

As for the photo, as I have said, it's a single photo of poor quality. There are needed more photos of medium to high quality to demonstrate it's not the same dog...

ย 

ReplyQuote
(@930310)
Gerontology student

@siam it's a clear enough photo to see that the dogs have different coat patterns.

ReplyQuote
Aquanaut
(@aquanaut)
Fan
Topic starter  

Bobi the Dog sadly passed away on 21 October 2023, at the age of 31 years & 165 days. He broke an 8 decade record, by more than 2 years. You will be truly missed Bobi, I'm glad I got the chance to see you rise to fame and be featured in the Guinness World Records. You truly changed the hearts of many people while you were alive. Once an angel on Earth, is now an angel in heaven. Rest in peace, sweet Dog.

ย 

https://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/news/2023/10/worlds-oldest-dog-ever-bobi-dies-aged-31-760019

diego and MrCatlord reacted
ReplyQuote
diego
(@diego)
Fan

Posted by: @aquanaut

Bobi the Dog sadly passed away on 21 October 2023, at the age of 31 years & 165 days. He broke an 8 decade record, by more than 2 years. You will be truly missed Bobi, I'm glad I got the chance to see you rise to fame and be featured in the Guinness World Records. You truly changed the hearts of many people while you were alive. Once an angel on Earth, is now an angel in heaven. Rest in peace, sweet Dog.

ย 

https://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/news/2023/10/worlds-oldest-dog-ever-bobi-dies-aged-31-760019

Beautiful words @Aquanaut_Chalk 😪 😫 😭ย 

ย 

Aquanaut and MrCatlord reacted
ReplyQuote
MrCatlord
(@mrcatlord)
Supercentenarian Fan

It would have been cool for him to go to Spain and meet Maria Branyas Morera as I know she likes dogsย 

ReplyQuote
diego
(@diego)
Fan

Posted by: @mrcatlord

It would have been cool for him to go to Spain and meet Maria Branyas Morera as I know she likes dogsย 

It would really be very interesting a meeting between the oldest dog in the world, now Spike, from Ohio, USA, born on Nov 30/1999 and the oldest person in the world

ย 

ReplyQuote
MrCatlord
(@mrcatlord)
Supercentenarian Fan

Posted by: @diego

It would really be very interesting a meeting between the oldest dog in the world, now Spike, from Ohio, USA, born on Nov 30/1999 and the oldest person in the world

ย 

Bobi and Maria lived in neighbouring countries so a meeting would make much more sense. Spike could maybe visit Naomi Whitehead or Bonita Gibson but there would be less point in that because Bobi was the oldest dog ever and Maria is OLP. Maybe Flossie the GWR-verified oldest cat can meet with Ethel Caterham

I should also point out that Spike, presumably the last dog born in the 1900s, was born exactly a century and one day after the last human from the 1800s (Emma Morano)

ย 

ย 

diego and Aquanaut reacted
ReplyQuote
(@930310)
Gerontology student

Apparently there was no confirmation of identity,ย  just that there existed records of a dog having been registered as born that date and that a person claimed that their dog was this dog (compare with identity theft among longevity claimants). An obese dog will not live to be 31 years old. Neither will a dog completely change coats during its life.

But may Bobi rest in peace, no matter how old he actually was.

diego, Guillaume and Ale76 reacted
ReplyQuote
ChrisR
(@chrisr)
Fan

Rest in Peace Bobi.

it would appear that the age of the oldest dog has plummeted by about 6,5 years, if Bobbyโ€™s age was true and Spike is now the new WOD at almost 24.

diego reacted
ReplyQuote
diego
(@diego)
Fan

ย 

Bobi and Maria lived in neighbouring countries so a meeting would make much more sense. Spike could maybe visit Naomi Whitehead or Bonita Gibson but there would be less point in that because Bobi was the oldest dog ever and Maria is OLP. Maybe Flossie the GWR-verified oldest cat can meet with Ethel Caterham

I should also point out that Spike, presumably the last dog born in the 1900s, was born exactly a century and one day after the last human from the 1800s (Emma Morano)

ย 

ย 

Yes, it's true, it would be a complicated trip for both, but it would be really cool

ย 

ReplyQuote
MrCatlord
(@mrcatlord)
Supercentenarian Fan

ย 

ย 

ย 

Yes, it's true, it would be a complicated trip for both, but it would be really cool

ย 

Do you know who the oldest person to fly on a plane is? It could be dangerous for any SC to travel and be away from home

ย 

ReplyQuote
diego
(@diego)
Fan

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

Do you know who the oldest person to fly on a plane is? It could be dangerous for any SC to travel and be away from home

ย 

I don't know, but I'd like to know, for SC it's complicated because it's uncomfortable, there's the issue of mobility, which is more reduced for them, it's really not easy

ย 

MrCatlord reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share: