(@mrcatlord)
Supercentenarian Fan

Posted by: @diego

Posted by: @mrcatlord

It would have been cool for him to go to Spain and meet Maria Branyas Morera as I know she likes dogs 

It would really be very interesting a meeting between the oldest dog in the world, now Spike, from Ohio, USA, born on Nov 30/1999 and the oldest person in the world

Bobi and Maria lived in neighbouring countries so a meeting would make much more sense. Spike could maybe visit Naomi Whitehead or Bonita Gibson but there would be less point in that because Bobi was the oldest dog ever and Maria is OLP. Maybe Flossie the GWR-verified oldest cat can meet with Ethel Caterham

I should also point out that Spike, presumably the last dog born in the 1900s, was born exactly a century and one day after the last human from the 1800s (Emma Morano)

Yes, it's true, it would be a complicated trip for both, but it would be really cool

Do you know who the oldest person to fly on a plane is? It could be dangerous for any SC to travel and be away from home

I don't know, but I'd like to know, for SC it's complicated because it's uncomfortable, there's the issue of mobility, which is more reduced for them, it's really not easy

I think any change in environment could have a big effect on an SC as their bodies may be too weak to handle changes, look at how Violet and Chiyo died

diego reacted
ReplyQuote
(@930310)
Gerontology student

@diego there have been some supercentenarians that travelled by plane. Eliza Underwood is one example.

diego reacted
ReplyQuote
diego
(@diego)
Fan

Posted by: @930310

@diego there have been some supercentenarians that travelled by plane. Eliza Underwood is one example.

Can you tell where she went from and how old she was at the time of the trip?
Thanks for the info

ReplyQuote
Gabriel_PT
(@gabriel_pt)
Fan

@diego Charlotte Hugges travelled by plane on her 109th birthday and on her 110th birthday:

https://gerontology.fandom.com/wiki/Charlotte_Hughes

ESO Correspondent for Portugal

diego reacted
ReplyQuote
diego
(@diego)
Fan

Posted by: @gabriel_pt

@diego Charlotte Hugges travelled by plane on her 109th birthday and on her 110th birthday:

https://gerontology.fandom.com/wiki/Charlotte_Hughes

Thank you very much for the information, she really liked flying

ReplyQuote
(@930310)
Gerontology student

@diego she was either 111 or 112 when she boarded a plane on her own to fly to Washington D.C. and visit her daughter.

https://imgur.com/a/AfqF4  

diego reacted
ReplyQuote
diego
(@diego)
Fan

Posted by: @930310

@diego she was either 111 or 112 when she boarded a plane on her own to fly to Washington D.C. and visit her daughter.

https://imgur.com/a/AfqF4  

She was very lively, and she was still alone, really cool, thanks for sharing

ReplyQuote
Robbie
(@robbie)
Researcher

There's been some news articles published recently questioning the veracity of this claim:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/oct/29/claims-about-genuine-age-of-bobi-worlds-oldest-dog-to-be-investigated

Unfortunately I can't say I find this too surprising - it's clear that validation of animal longevity is still leagues behind that of human longevity. Guinness World Records especially, has had a questionable past when it comes to validating the ages of animals (i.e, the 'oldest cat ever', Creme Puff - who turned 29 in 1998 yet died aged 38 in 2005 - and that's not even the biggest red flag when it comes to that case). Without an actual scientific publication scrutinising the evidence from the case it's difficult not to at least come at these claims with a very questioning attitude.

On the other end of the stick though - unlike what the above article claims, I don't think there's really a valid way to directly equate dog years with human years - especially once you start getting into extreme longevity. 

diego and Guillaume reacted
ReplyQuote
Ale76
(@ale76)
Supercentenarian Fan

@robbie I agree with all you have written. I was and I am really skeptical about the age of 31 y.o. (!!???) of this sweet dog.

http://www.supercentenariditalia.it/persone-viventi-piu-longeve-in-italia.
Persone viventi più longeve in Italia – Supercentenari d'Italia (supercentenariditalia.it)

ReplyQuote
Aquanaut
(@aquanaut)
Fan
Topic starter  

@robbie link a source for Creme Puff being 29 in 1998 please

|Male| 🎮Gamer🎮 > 👕Fashion Lover👕 > 🕶Chore Motivator🕶
Favorite Male SC: Juan Vicente Pérez Mora
Favorite Female SCs: Lucile Randon & Kane Tanaka
😁And the kind of guy that's always down to chat😁

ReplyQuote
Aquanaut
(@aquanaut)
Fan
Topic starter  

@ale76 I would agree with you Ale. I was skeptical too, as Bobi was overweight and studies have shown that overweight dogs live shorter lifespans, and are more prone to diabetes and cardiovascular diseases. I highly doubt that an overweight Rafaeiro de Alentejo dog, whose average lifespan is 12 years, could live to 31 years & 165 days. I wouldn't rule him out yet though, I just think it's unlikely that a dog Bobi's size could live to 31. I'd say 20% chance.

I will say however, that I still do think it is definitely possible for a dog to reach 31. The record had been held since 1939 and I think it's bound to be broken one day. Strangely, Bobi may not actually be the record holder after all, as there is another dog under investigation who claimed to have lived to 31 years & 177 days. I'm not sure I am allowed to say his name, but he passed away in the 2000s, and his case was re-opened in May 2023, and is also currently under investigation. 

- A.C.

EDIT: My apologies. The Anonymous dog who passed away in the 2000s was actually 31 years & 191 days. 

|Male| 🎮Gamer🎮 > 👕Fashion Lover👕 > 🕶Chore Motivator🕶
Favorite Male SC: Juan Vicente Pérez Mora
Favorite Female SCs: Lucile Randon & Kane Tanaka
😁And the kind of guy that's always down to chat😁

ReplyQuote
Robbie
(@robbie)
Researcher

Posted by: @aquanaut

@robbie link a source for Creme Puff being 29 in 1998 please

at the very end of this video from 1998 (as it mentions Granpa Rexs Allen as having passed away that April)

Aquanaut reacted
ReplyQuote
MrCatlord
(@mrcatlord)
Supercentenarian Fan

Has the dog who died in 1939 (Bluey I think his name was?) been validated by GWR or another organization?

ReplyQuote
(@930310)
Gerontology student

@mrcatlord Only to a lesser degree than Bobi. Meaning recognized by GWR but probably has nothing supporting the claim in reality.

diego reacted
ReplyQuote
Ale76
(@ale76)
Supercentenarian Fan

Bobi's title as world's oldest dog has been suspended: https://www.cnn.com/2024/01/16/europe/bobi-oldest-dog-title-suspended-intl-scli/index.html

The world’s “oldest ever dog” Bobi, who died in October reportedly aged 31, has provisionally lost his title as Guinness World Records.

http://www.supercentenariditalia.it/persone-viventi-piu-longeve-in-italia.
Persone viventi più longeve in Italia – Supercentenari d'Italia (supercentenariditalia.it)

ReplyQuote
Robbie
(@robbie)
Researcher

Posted by: @ale76

Bobi's title as world's oldest dog has been suspended: https://www.cnn.com/2024/01/16/europe/bobi-oldest-dog-title-suspended-intl-scli/index.html

The world’s “oldest ever dog” Bobi, who died in October reportedly aged 31, has provisionally lost his title as Guinness World Records.

It's definitely progress to see this, I think. While obviously the main intention of Guinness is profit and media attention, not scientific accuracy, records like this spread a lot of misinformation because it touts claims as being true with little to no actual evidence. You'd be laughed out of any scientific convention if you attempted to prove Bobi's age as true with the alleged evidence Guinness accepted. 

The realistic answer to the question of who is the oldest dog is that we just don't have the capabilities to currently provide one. There is some research into dog mortality though, which could help provide a ballpark figure as to how old the oldest dog could be:

This study shows that in a study of over 30,000 dogs who died in the UK between 2016 and 2020, only 23 were 20 or over. The oldest dog in the entire dataset was 21 years and 10 months old. And even then, some of those ages could be slightly exaggerated perhaps due to approximations on the vet's part. The mortality rates are also incredibly high at this age (rising to over 75% from ages 19 to 20). Given this data, extrapolating, and making some calculations, I would say it is very unlikely for the oldest dog in the UK to be 25 or over, and very unlikely for the oldest dog in the world to be 26 or over. Even then these estimates are generous. 

Obviously though, this should all be taken with a grain of salt as there's not been much research into this area. Maybe dog mortality plateaus at around 80% and doesn't continue to increase as I imagined it would. Perhaps human mortality statistics are completely inapplicable and dog outliers really can reach extreme ages like 29. But I'd argue we just don't know enough at this point. 

siam and WellAbove110 reacted
ReplyQuote
ChrisR
(@chrisr)
Fan

Poor old Bobi the dog.

I’m sure he deserves a far batter fate than all this human speculation as to how old he really was.😀

diego reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2
Share: