Which Languages Do You Speak?

11 Posts
9 Users
19 Likes
Marco
(@marco)
Fan
Topic starter  

As someone passionate about languages, I was wondering which languages the community here speaks.

I'll make a list that I can edit, hoping the list will expand as members indicate what they can speak. For native tongues, I'll highlight the member's (nick)name in bold.

I'm also making use of the CEFR (Common European Framework of Reference) scale to show at what level a member speaks a language, should they indicate so.

Basque - siam (B2-C1)

Catalan - siam (B2-C1)

Danish - 930310

Dutch - Marco (C2)

English - Ale; Amck (C2); Fabri21; Marco (C1); Rezet; siam (B2-C1); stoa-oid; 024Tomi (C1); 930310

French - Ale; Marco (B2); siam; stoa-oid; 930310

Italian - Ale76 (Genoese dialect); Marco (A1); stoa-oid

German - Marco (A2); stoa-oid (Austrian variant); 024Tomi (A2)

(Tyrolean German - stoa-oid)

Hungarian - 024Tomi

Japanese - Fabri21

Latin - Fabri21 (passively); stoa-oid (passively)

Simplified Mandarin - Amck (A2)

Mayan - Fabri21

Norwegian - 930310

Portuguese - Fabri21; siam

Spanish - Amck (B1/B2); Fabri21; Marco (A1); siam

Swedish - Amck (A2/B1); 930310

Turkish - Marco (A2/B1)

Overduidelijk misschien.

stoa-oid and Amck reacted
Marco
(@marco)
Fan
Topic starter  

As for me:

- Dutch is my native tongue.

- English is the language I've studied; I've also been teaching it to pupils for the past ten years - which makes me feel old...

- French is the language of my "second home"; my grandma's best friends are French (they live in Haute-Garonne, a department in the south of France) and I lovingly call them my French grandparents. I've been there quite often and as they don't know any other language but French, my French has gotten really good (also because it is a compulsory language at Dutch schools, where I had to study it for six years).

- German I should really know better, seeing I live 400 metres off the German border, I am in Germany every day (have to travel through a couple of kms in Germany to get to my job in another part of NL), and most of our shopping is done in Germany. It's just that the case system in Germany annoys the hell out of me.

- Turkish I know reasonably well - better passively than actively - as it's my husband's native tongue. I can easily make small talk and discuss a variety of subjects, but the more abstract topics are much too difficult for me. Turkish music has helped me a lot to improve my Turkish.

- Italian I studied at university as a minor (so for a couple of months only). Unfortunately ho dimenticato moltissimo in my active knowledge of Italian, but passively I can read Italian and understand (almost) everything; I don't need to translate Italian newspaper articles, so to speak.

- Spanish I have never learned, but through my knowledge of French and Italian it's really easy to understand. Here, too, I can read a newspaper article and understand the vast majority of it. I could also hold really simple conversations.

Then there's my passion of learning languages - note how I have many books and e-books that are language courses:

- I've got the entire "Japanese From Zero!" series at home, but I notice I'm not that motivated to persevere with it. I can read hiragana and most of katakana, and I can read some Japanese sentences on the Japanese forum without needing to translate them (because I know what it says), but really, I couldn't converse with a Japanese person on the street.

- I've got a Complete Swedish e-book course. Haven't really delved into it, except for pronunciation. Nötkött - I love what the k transforms into.

- I've got a Complete Russian e-book course. Have mastered the Cyrillic alphabet, but I haven't really progressed beyond that.

- I've got a Complete Croatian e-book course. I actually know some Croatian from "before" because Croatia (and Slovenia too, btw) is one of my favourite countries. Seeing the plan is to go there this summer (in combination with Slovenia, where we've been before) I should really delve into the course. Ali razumijem malo.

- I've got a Complete Czech e-book course. I/we've been to the Czech Republic a couple of times before and I really like the people over there, and the country too. I'll never forget the Czech word for 'dog' ('pes') because it was taught to me in a traditional Czech pub/bistro.

- I've got a Complete Irish e-book course, just because I can. The Celtic culture and Gaelic languages will never lose their appeal.

- Via DuoLingo I once studied some Portuguese. Not too difficult a language, but I don't find DuoLingo the best platform to study a language. Maybe I should try and order a course for Portuguese. I do like the people - they were very kind when we were on holiday there!

- and I know a Hungarian word or two (köszönöm!) but learning the language seems very daunting to me.

Overduidelijk misschien.

stoa-oid, 930310 and Amck reacted
ReplyQuote
Amck
 Amck
(@amck)
Fan

Ooh fun topic! I also have a big interest on languages, though it’s hard as I cannot afford things like lessons or books, and free resources only take you so far. But it’s still fun regardless! 

English - Makes sense considering I’m English lol (C2)

Swedish - Probably my most profusely learnt language, but whilst I can piece together the translation of things such as some Swedish Wikipedia articles, I still aren’t that great but I’m trying my best any progress is progress, right? (A2/B1)

Spanish - Learnt it all throughout Primary school and am hoping I’m able to switch to Spanish GCSE because Mandarin is really not sticking in my brain. I was pretty good when I was actively learning it, however I haven’t learnt it since 2019 (since Year 7). So I believe that whilst at this moment, I can’t remember much, if I switched back to Spanish class I would easily be able to re-remember alot and pick it back up. Not a clue if that makes any sense at all but I hope it does  (B1/B2)

Simplified Mandarin - Learnt this for 3 years now, and maybe it’s because of the boring redundancy of the lessons, but I am not picking it up at all. The homework is also incredibly overwhelming and takes 1-2 hours (which just irritates me, as I didn’t even pick this for GCSE lol). Also, I still can’t say good morning to this day, but I can say “my pet dragon is blue”. (A2)

There’s also many languages that I learnt for a short period of time or am still learning just not as much as Spanish or Swedish.

German: Probably next in line after I get fluent enough in Swedish, I know a few words or phrases.

Italian: I learnt this for a few months but found it too much learning other languages at the same time. Maybe I’ll pick it back up, maybe not. All depends on how I feel.

As well as about 5 more that was a sudden, one time thing lol.

Interested in Gerontology since: May 13th 2016
Favourite Living Supercentenarian: Kikuyo Honma (1910-)
Favourite Supercentenarian Ever: Chiyo Miyako (1901-2018)
Profile Photo: Fusa Tatsumi (1907-)

stoa-oid and Marco reacted
ReplyQuote
Ale76
(@ale76)
Supercentenarian Fan

For me:

- Italian is my native tongue;
- Genoese dialect is my native dialect;
- English learnt throughout Primary school and University; 
- French learnt throughout Primary school and University.

http://www.supercentenariditalia.it/persone-viventi-piu-longeve-in-italia.
Persone viventi più longeve in Italia – Supercentenari d'Italia (supercentenariditalia.it)

ReplyQuote
024Tomi
(@024tomi)
Fan and researcher

For me:

- Hungarian: native

- English: C1

- German: A2

- I've also studied some Russian (in school, extracurricularly) and Esperanton (via DuoLingo)

ESO Correspondent for Hungary (since 2020)
GRG Correspondent for Hungary (2020-2023)
Tracker and researcher of Hungarian and other Central European (super)centenarians (since 2016)
Enthusiast of extreme longevity (since childhood)

ReplyQuote
(@rich_villa)
Very cool haha

English = Native

stoa-oid reacted
ReplyQuote
Fabri21
(@fabri21)
Fan

Native: Spanish.

I speak English as a second language.

Japanese is most likely my third language. (I'm decently fluent in the language).

I speak Mayan and Portuguese to a lesser level. 

I don't speak Latin, but I know an extensive vocabulary of it. So the writing is my strength.

LAS administrator and member since 12 January 2020.
Global Supercentenarian Forum member since 1 March 2022.

ReplyQuote
(@930310)
Gerontology student

I speak Swedish, so naturally I can read and understand Danish and Norwegian fairly well.

I am decently fluent in English as well, I am much better at reading than speaking it.

I studied French in highschool but I never use it.

I tried learning Japanese a few years ago but I gave up.

I can count to 100 in Finnish and German..

ReplyQuote
 siam
(@siam)
Fan

Spanish is my native language. 

I have a B2 level in english, but I think I could pass the C1 exam if I prepare a bit.

I know pretty well basque and catalan, another two languages spoken in Spain. I think I have a B2-C1 level in those languages, just like in english.

I have some knowledge of portuguese (I understand it 95% written, 80% spoken, hard to speak it though)

I have a very basic level of french (I know some vocabulary and I can have a very simple conversation)

ReplyQuote
stoa-oid
(@stoa-oid)
Fan

Mother tongue and favorite language: Tyrolean dialect (Dialect of the Unterland which is a special region of the Tyrol.). I am cherishing the real old dialect of my great-grandparents and I love this very much. This form is dying out, but my family and friends are doing their best. It is our precious identity and we are proud of it. The younger "indigenous" generation is also speaking dialect. A more moderate one.

German (the Austrian version) is a kind of foreign language;-) More than the half of our teachers used dialect at school...

English (8 years in grammar school/not at university)

French (4 years in grammar school)

Italian (I do understand a lot of the everyday language, but I am speaking a really poor level.)

Latin (six years in grammar school)

ReplyQuote
Marco
(@marco)
Fan
Topic starter  

Updated. Speakers of Mayan and Basque, coooooooool!

Overduidelijk misschien.

Amck reacted
ReplyQuote
Share: