Hey πŸ‘‹

23 Posts
10 Users
39 Likes
(@ben1987)
Fan
Topic starter  

Hi everyone! Hope everyone is well and having a great Friday!Β 

I was recently informed of this new forum where we can all discuss Supercentenarians.Β 

Many of you may know me from The 110 Club where I had the same user name!Β 

I recently became responsible for creating and running the SC of the month polls. I wonder if members and the admin on this forum would be interested in me continuing this role here?Β 

Β 

Ollie, Marco, seto2001 and 4 people reacted
(@930310)
Gerontology student

Welcome!

What is the purpose of having a "supercentenarian of the month" poll? Does it contribute to anything meaningful or is it just fan-service?

ReplyQuote
Ale76
(@ale76)
Supercentenarian Fan

Welcome to the forum, Ben!

http://www.supercentenariditalia.it/persone-viventi-piu-longeve-in-italia.
Persone viventi piΓΉ longeve in Italia – Supercentenari d'Italia (supercentenariditalia.it)

Pavlos123 and Ben1987 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@ben1987)
Fan
Topic starter  

@930310Β 

Β 

There isn’t really a purpose as such. Fans on the 110 club always seemed to enjoy voting on the polls for a SC (from a list compiled by myself from suggestions from members) they felt had achieved something remarkable in a particular month, usually a birthday, passing a milestone or sadly also a death.Β 

ReplyQuote
(@ben1987)
Fan
Topic starter  

@ale76 Β Thanks ale! I remember you as a member over on the 110 club although it’s been awhile since you were active! I remember all your visits to Emma Morano πŸ™‚

Pavlos123 and Ale76 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@rich_villa)
Very cool haha

Welcome! I believe we shouldn't have a SC of the month poll here though.

Amck, Fabri21, 024Tomi and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@930310)
Gerontology student

@rich_villa Agreed. I am hopeful that this forum can be a bit more professional and academic than the 110 club.

Amck reacted
ReplyQuote
(@ben1987)
Fan
Topic starter  

@930310 I thought it was meant to be a fan forum not a professional forum?Β 

ReplyQuote
(@chris)
Fan

Welcome to the forum, Ben!Β  Yes, I am the same Chris who visited Ralph Tarrant with you several times back in 2013. Hope you are keeping well. πŸ™‚

ESO Co-Founder and Administrator (since 1 January 2020)

ReplyQuote
Admin
(@admin)
Administrator Admin

Posted by: @ben1987

I was recently informed of this new forum where we can all discuss Supercentenarians.Β 

I recently became responsible for creating and running the SC of the month polls. I wonder if members and the admin on this forum would be interested in me continuing this role here?Β 

Β 

Welcome to the forum, Ben1987!

Β 

There is already a "Polls" subforum in the "Fans' Corner" section of this forum, so please feel free to start monthly polls there. Obviously, as this is a fan forum, supercentenarians don't need to be of a certain age to be included in the options - here, 110-year-olds, too, can end up as a supercentenarian of the month.

Ben1987, Chris and Record_116 reacted
ReplyQuote
Admin
(@admin)
Administrator Admin

Posted by: @930310

Welcome!

What is the purpose of having a "supercentenarian of the month" poll? Does it contribute to anything meaningful or is it just fan-service?

Hi, 930310.

Β 

Remember, this is a fan forum and a place for everyone, so there will also be sections of the forum that might be less appealing to you. I do, however, like to keep the sections strictly apart from one another, so please feel free to provide feedback if you feel that the more serious parts of the forum end up becoming too fan-like.

Ben1987 reacted
ReplyQuote
Admin
(@admin)
Administrator Admin

Posted by: @rich_villa

Welcome! I believe we shouldn't have a SC of the month poll here though.

Hi, ReZet.

Β 

I feel this might be because of the "wars" that were sometimes fought over these titles on the 110 Club. Here, though, I am not going to allow these wars. Any supercentenarian can be included, and canvassing or lobbying for votes will not be condoned. Everybody should feel free to vote for who they feel should be awarded.

ReZet, Ben1987 and Record_116 reacted
ReplyQuote
Ell
 Ell
(@ell)
Fan

The thing that really irked me about the polls on the 110 club was that you was pressured to vote for the oldest candidate. It seemed rather pointless having a poll in that case. It was really treating supercentenarians as statistics - why shouldn't a 110 year old win it? Perhaps they have had a particularly interesting life, and people might want to celebrate that.Β 

Ollie, Mendocino, Ben1987 and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@ben1987)
Fan
Topic starter  

@ell Β yes I agree that members should vote for who they feel otherwise what’s the point in a vote?

This post was modified 2 years ago by Ben1987

Ollie, Mendocino, Ell and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@ben1987)
Fan
Topic starter  

@84 hey! Long time no speak. Actually at the moment I’m not too good to be honest after recently being hospitalised for two collapsed lungs and subsequent surgery. But I’m hopefully on the mend now! Hope you’re keeping well! Can’t believe it’s 9 years since we visited Ralph!Β 

ReplyQuote
(@ben1987)
Fan
Topic starter  
Posted by: @admin

Β 

Β 

There is already a "Polls" subforum in the "Fans' Corner" section of this forum, so please feel free to start monthly polls there. Obviously, as this is a fan forum, supercentenarians don't need to be of a certain age to be included in the options - here, 110-year-olds, too, can end up as a supercentenarian of the month.

Thank you for the welcome! I shall look into it and hopefully start a monthly poll!Β 
As you have said though there will be no pressure for anybody to vote for certain people, a vote is supposed to personal choice.Β 
I hope the polls are easy to create haha I’ll message you if I’m struggling, if that’s okay πŸ™‚Β 

Admin reacted
ReplyQuote
(@andrea2002)
Fan

Welcome Ben!

Ben1987 reacted
ReplyQuote
Admin
(@admin)
Administrator Admin

I hope the polls are easy to create haha I’ll message you if I’m struggling, if that’s okay πŸ™‚Β 

Β 

Obviously that's okay!

Ben1987 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@chris)
Fan

@ben1987Β  Yikes that sounds nasty. 😱

Best wishes for your recovery, I hope you are back to normal as soon as possible.

Yes can't believe it's been 9 years! He certainly was a character wasn't he. Extremely loquacious and incredibly lucid for his age.

ESO Co-Founder and Administrator (since 1 January 2020)

Ben1987 reacted
ReplyQuote
Marco
(@marco)
Fan

Overduidelijk misschien.

Ben1987 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@ben1987)
Fan
Topic starter  
Posted by: @chris

@ben1987Β  Yikes that sounds nasty. 😱

Best wishes for your recovery, I hope you are back to normal as soon as possible.

Yes can't believe it's been 9 years! He certainly was a character wasn't he. Extremely loquacious and incredibly lucid for his age.

Thank you, I'm hoping I'll be back to normal soon because it's very frustrating. It's one month on Monday since it all started.Β 

Β 

He really was a character yes. Such a shame he didn't last a little longer because I am sure we would have continued visiting him. I'm still in touch with his daughter Christine from time to time.Β 

ReplyQuote
Admin
(@admin)
Administrator Admin

[Discussion about addons + donation moved here.]

Record_116 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@sonicbox)
Fan

ReplyQuote
Share: