Ese Gebelek (TUR, 1894?-2023)

3 Posts
3 Users
5 Likes
diego
(@diego)
Fan
Topic starter  

Ese Gebelek claimed that she was born on 1/Jul/1894, in Aydın Province, Turkey died on 30/Mar/2023 in Kahramanmaraş Province,Turkey, has anyone studied the case or know anything about her?
I don't believe the case is true but was she ever unmasked, explaining why she claimed to be 128 when she died?

Mendocino
(@mendocino)
Fan

July 1st seems to be an extremely common placeholder DOB for Middle Eastern SC claims who immigrated to the United States, so it's interesting to see this DOB in a non-emigrant case. Maybe she moved to the US at some point in her life, but later returned to her homeland? I'm not sure why they tend to go with this DOB in particular if they don't know their actual birthday, as opposed to something like January 1st or December 31st. 

Actually, it seems like several Turkish SC claims also used this July 1st birthday.

Profile picture: Marita Camacho Quirós (1911-Present)

diego reacted
ReplyQuote
Marco
(@marco)
Fan

Posted by: @mendocino

July 1st seems to be an extremely common placeholder DOB for Middle Eastern SC claims who immigrated to the United States, so it's interesting to see this DOB in a non-emigrant case. Maybe she moved to the US at some point in her life, but later returned to her homeland? I'm not sure why they tend to go with this DOB in particular if they don't know their actual birthday, as opposed to something like January 1st or December 31st. 

Actually, it seems like several Turkish SC claims also used this July 1st birthday.

Turkish birth registrations didn't really start until the mid-20th century. My parents-in-law [Turkish-born] also have placeholder DOBs (1 Jan & 1 Sept) and they were born in the late 1950s. My father-in-law was given a 1 Jan DOB when he arrived in the Netherlands in 1979. My mother-in-law was registered in the 1960s (several years after her birth) simply because the family hadn't bothered to register her soon after her birth. And even though she was always told she was "born in the spring," she received a 1 Sept DOB (and three years were added to her age).

I'm guessing that for the Turkish elite, birth registration should be available from 1923 onwards (when the Turkish state came into being), but for most rural claimants it will still take many years before their ages can be fully proven/disproven.

Overduidelijk misschien.

ChrisR, diego, Dejan and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Share: