Thoughts on Superce...
 
Notifications
Clear all

Thoughts on Supercentenarians

8 Posts
4 Users
9 Likes
467 Views
Aquanaut
(@aquanaut)
Fan
Joined: 2 years ago
Posts: 715
Topic starter  

I just wanted to ask everyone's thoughts on Juan Pablo Villalobos Maradiaga. I remember seeing his story on the news. It seems that after looking a little bit into his claim, a lot of people on the110club think he was born in 1913, making him 104 instead of his claimed age of 116. However, the birth place listed from the Juan Maradiaga born in 1913 does not match our 116 year old Juan Maradiaga. I have yet to see hard evidence to debunk his case, however 116 years & 99 days is extremely advanced and unlikely for a male. In my opinion I think there's about a 20% chance of him being the age claimed, against an 80% chance of him being false, only because of statistics and his advanced age. Still, even if he was only 104 or older, could he have possibly been the doyen of El Salvador? 104 seems a little young to be the doyen, but I'm not familiar with El Salvador's oldest men title holders before Santos Rivas. I'd like to know what everyone thinks. Should his case be re-opened? To my knowledge, he has not been debunked yet. He seems plausible enough to be further investigated.ย 

|Male|
๐ŸŽฎGamer๐ŸŽฎ > ๐Ÿ‘•Fashion Lover๐Ÿ‘• > ๐Ÿ•ถChore Motivator๐Ÿ•ถ
Favorite Supercentenarian: Juan Vicente Pรฉrez Mora
๐Ÿ˜And the kind of guy that's always down to chat๐Ÿ˜


   
diego reacted
Quote
(@michal1095)
Fan
Joined: 2 years ago
Posts: 2
 

I voted 104. Definitely he doesn't looks like supercentenarian, especially 116.


   
Ale76 reacted
ReplyQuote
Mendocino
(@mendocino)
Fan
Joined: 2 years ago
Posts: 498
 

Posted by: @michal1095

I voted 104. Definitely he doesn't looks like supercentenarian, especially 116.

The 1913 birth record found is almost certainly not a match, though, since it's quite far away from his claimed place of birth (Moncagua, San Miguel). The 1913 born baby is also illegitimate, and registered as "Juan Maradiaga". Of course, it's very possible that Juan Pablo Villalobos Maradiaga was also born to an unmarried mother, but a person with the name "Juan Pablo" would almost never be referred to as just "Juan". This is because Pablo is his "real" name, whereas Juan is more of a decorative name (similarly to Juan Vicente Pรฉrez Mora). This 1906 record is more likely to be a match, since it's closer to his claimed place of birth and matches his "main" first name, but there's no way to know for sure without confirming his mother's name. A 1906 birthyear would also mean he was around 16 in 1922, when he claims his first child was born - this is obviously quite young and probably would've been before he married, but that wouldn't be too uncommon for the time period (Santos Rivas actually fathered his first child when he was only around 15).

ย 

Profile picture: Marita Camacho Quirรณs (1911-Present)


   
Aquanaut reacted
ReplyQuote
Aquanaut
(@aquanaut)
Fan
Joined: 2 years ago
Posts: 715
Topic starter  

@mendocino wow that's interesting. So if the 1906 birth record is correct, he would have probably still been the oldest man in El Salvador at the time of his death.

|Male|
๐ŸŽฎGamer๐ŸŽฎ > ๐Ÿ‘•Fashion Lover๐Ÿ‘• > ๐Ÿ•ถChore Motivator๐Ÿ•ถ
Favorite Supercentenarian: Juan Vicente Pรฉrez Mora
๐Ÿ˜And the kind of guy that's always down to chat๐Ÿ˜


   
ReplyQuote
Aquanaut
(@aquanaut)
Fan
Joined: 2 years ago
Posts: 715
Topic starter  

I was thinking about researching a new unvalidated supercentenarian. Does anyone know if Mrs. Rosa Zoila Higuera Velandia's age has been debunked? She seems like an interesting case to research. I don't know anything about her yet though, I've only found about her case yesterday.ย 

|Male|
๐ŸŽฎGamer๐ŸŽฎ > ๐Ÿ‘•Fashion Lover๐Ÿ‘• > ๐Ÿ•ถChore Motivator๐Ÿ•ถ
Favorite Supercentenarian: Juan Vicente Pรฉrez Mora
๐Ÿ˜And the kind of guy that's always down to chat๐Ÿ˜


   
diego reacted
ReplyQuote
Aquanaut
(@aquanaut)
Fan
Joined: 2 years ago
Posts: 715
Topic starter  

During my time researching Supercentenarians, I've discovered that's it's much more difficult finding research on the women supercentenarians than it is the men. I think that this is because the women usually change their last names when they get married, whereas the men do not. And the gerontology fandom site used to have a section for questionable male SC cases but none for women. This was very helpful for trying to either debunk the case or find more information to support it. Unfortunately this section for men has been removed, and now there's no questionable case for either men or women. Like how Sarah Knauss wasn't always Sarah Knauss, as she was born Sarah DeRemer Clark, so of course you're not going to find an 1880 match for a Sarah Knauss, because at that time she was still Sarah DeRemer Clark. Just using Mrs. Knauss as an example, I believe fully that she was indeed 119.ย 

ย 

I have noticed that it's much easier to debunk the women longevity claimants because of their children's ages. For example, a woman who claims to be 120, but has a 50 year old child. Obviously she was not 70 when she had her child, so immediately we can debunk her case. It's also pretty easy to debunk an extreme longevity claim when the person claims to have a placeholder birthday, like December 31, 1899 or January 1, 1900.ย 

ย 

And to me, I find it very unfortunate that a lot of these extreme longevity cases are immediately written off, and no further investigation is done for them. Like for example, the case with Mrs. Amodzie of Ghana who claimed to be 199. Obviously she was NOT the age claimed, but in my opinion given the fact that she had an 88 year old son, she could've still been 105-110, and possibly the oldest living person in Ghana. Unfortunately she may have missed out on the title of Ghana's oldest living person because her claimed age was immediately written off and all investigation on her stopped. Same thing with "Michael", an Ethiopian man who is claiming to be between 160 and 170 years old. Again, obviously he's not the age claimed, but given that he has a 93 year old son, he is probably 108-110 and may be missing out on the title of the oldest living man in Ethiopia.ย 

ย 

Anyways, just thought I'd throw this out there.ย 

|Male|
๐ŸŽฎGamer๐ŸŽฎ > ๐Ÿ‘•Fashion Lover๐Ÿ‘• > ๐Ÿ•ถChore Motivator๐Ÿ•ถ
Favorite Supercentenarian: Juan Vicente Pรฉrez Mora
๐Ÿ˜And the kind of guy that's always down to chat๐Ÿ˜


   
diego reacted
ReplyQuote
(@pavlos123)
Fan
Joined: 2 years ago
Posts: 42
 

Posted by: @aquanaut
And to me, I find it very unfortunate that a lot of these extreme longevity cases are immediately written off, and no further investigation is done for them. Like for example, the case with Mrs. Amodzie of Ghana who claimed to be 199. Obviously she was NOT the age claimed, but in my opinion given the fact that she had an 88 year old son, she could've still been 105-110, and possibly the oldest living person in Ghana. Unfortunately she may have missed out on the title of Ghana's oldest living person because her claimed age was immediately written off and all investigation on her stopped. Same thing with "Michael", an Ethiopian man who is claiming to be between 160 and 170 years old. Again, obviously he's not the age claimed, but given that he has a 93 year old son, he is probably 108-110 and may be missing out on the title of the oldest living man in Ethiopia.ย 

The ages of their sons could be exaggerated too. I think it's very hard to find early life documents for people from villages of these countries. Even these very extreme claims of 170 years and 190 years are an indication that themselvesย  they have no idea when they were really born. However it is still possible that some of them could actually be supercentenarians.

ย 


   
ReplyQuote
Aquanaut
(@aquanaut)
Fan
Joined: 2 years ago
Posts: 715
Topic starter  

@pavlos123 that's very true. Their children might only be in their 70s rather than their 80s or even 90s. I wonder when we will actually see Jeanne Calment's and Jiroemon Kimura's record broken. It seems that a man reaches a new age every decade or two, like John Turner reaching 111 in 1967, A. Philemon Cole reaching 112 in 1988, Frederick Frasier reaching 113 in 1993, Christian Mortensen reaching both 114 and 115 in 1996 and 1997 and finally Jiroemon Kimura reaching 116 in 2013. These 6 ages were reached in 46 years, totalling an average of around 9 years. So that means that 117 for men should've been reached in 2022, but probably not later than 2034. For women however, that is an entirely different story, as Jeanne Calment was the first woman to reach 116-122, so it seems a bit harder to calculate. Can you imagine if the first woman that made it to 123 also made it to 129? What an achievement that would be! My bet is that we will see a 123 year old woman in 2066. Just my personal guess, no scientific research to back it up.

|Male|
๐ŸŽฎGamer๐ŸŽฎ > ๐Ÿ‘•Fashion Lover๐Ÿ‘• > ๐Ÿ•ถChore Motivator๐Ÿ•ถ
Favorite Supercentenarian: Juan Vicente Pรฉrez Mora
๐Ÿ˜And the kind of guy that's always down to chat๐Ÿ˜


   
diego reacted
ReplyQuote
Share: