2022 FIFA World Cup...

Notifications
Clear all

2022 FIFA World Cup qualifications (predictions)

8 Posts
5 Users
2 Likes
seto2001
(@seto2001)
Fan
Topic starter  

To start this sports part with the currently ongoing qualifications for the 2022 FIFA World Cup (the only tournaments I follow 🤣).

The most recent news were probably how Russia was disqualified from the qualifications and suspended indefinitely, even though they passed to the second round.

UEFA:

Path A:

Path B:

Path C:

My comment: I'm hoping Wales will win in Path A, due to the fact they did well so far and how they qualified for a World Cup only once (70 years ago!), but Scotland probably has better chances.

After Russia's disqualification, I feel like Sweden has best chances to pass in Path B.

As a Serb, in Path C my favorite is North Macedonia, but I don't feel like they can pass this. My gut feeling tells my Italy will win.

CAF:

My comment: I was never really following much of African football, but it's really interesting how the first match is between Senegal and Egypt, winners and runner-ups of the latest African Cup of Nations. Since Senegal won on the Cup, maybe this will be a chance for Egypt to take "revenge".

CONCACAF:

My comment: I'm surprised by how well Canada is doing, didn't expect them to be on top at this point. Mexico qualified for the every World Cup since 1994, so I'm guessing they will do it again. It will be interesting to see who will stay in top 4 - Costa Rica or Panama.

CONMEBOL:

My comment: Brazil and Argentina qualified... as expected. I'm cheering for Peru because it's my favorite country in Latin America. Ecuador is doing fine so they will probably qualify dirrectly, so the question is who will be the fourth country and who goes to play-offs. Honestly I expected Colombia to be in top 4 by this point, but well...Β 

OFC:

My comment: New Zealand... that's all I will say 🤣Β 

Β 

LAS Member/Administrator (since January 2020)
ESO Correspondent for Croatia (since 2 August 2021)

Ale76
(@ale76)
Supercentenarian Fan

My predictions for Europe:

WAL-AUT 1-0
SCO-UKR 0-2Β  Β  Β 
WAL-UKR 1-1, 7-6 pen.

POL bye
SWE-CZE 3-1
POL-SWE 2-1

POR-TUR 2-0
ITA-MKD 3-1
POR-ITA 0-0, 3-2 pen.

q. WAL, POL, POR.

Β 

Β 

http://www.supercentenariditalia.it/persone-viventi-piu-longeve-in-italia.
Persone viventi piΓΉ longeve in Italia – Supercentenari d'Italia (supercentenariditalia.it)

ReplyQuote
seto2001
(@seto2001)
Fan
Topic starter  

Japan and Saudi Arabia qualified for the World Cup today (as expected).

UEFA play-offs will start in few hours. Since @ale76 gave us his predictions for the results, I will do mine (though I was always bad at predictions of exact results):

ITA-MKD: Italy wins (2-0)
POR-TUR: Portugal wins (1-0)
SWE-CZE: Czech Republic wins (1-2)
WAL-AUT: Wales wins (2-1)

ReplyQuote
JimJim00
(@jimjim00)
Fan

@Ale76 @seto2001Β 

Β 

Oh dear...

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/60869125

ReplyQuote
seto2001
(@seto2001)
Fan
Topic starter  
Posted by: @jimjim00

@Ale76 @seto2001Β 

Β 

Oh dear...

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/60869125

Though I was cheering for N. Macedonia I was sure Italy would win even without overtime, so... woah... this must be one of the biggest surprises in this qualifications. For the European champions to miss another World Cup...Β 

I thought Czech Republic would win against Sweden. They put up a good fight until the end, but Sweden was better.

ReplyQuote
Ollie
(@ollie)
Fan

Well at least there’s no chance of England losing to Italy in the final again 😅

Β 

Sorry, Ale!

GRG Administrative Assistant for Database Administration (27 February 2016 – 18 November 2022)

ReplyQuote
EstebanGonzalez
(@estebangonzalez)
Fan

Ecuador and Uruguay also qualified, after a controversial match against Peru in which it could have been a tie. Sorry Peruvian brothers! I hope they can qualify too

Missing Italy another World Cup..

ReplyQuote
seto2001
(@seto2001)
Fan
Topic starter  

Canada won 4-0 against Jamaica and qualified for the World Cup. This will be their second appearence, with the first one being way back in 1986.

ReplyQuote
Share: