Clear all

Definition of Latin America

5 Posts
2 Users
7 Likes
(@sailor-haumea)
Fan
Topic starter  

Does Saint Lucia count as Latin America? In addition to English, pretty much all of the country's inhabitants speak a creole derived from French. If it counts, I just located the baptismal record for Elsie Ward (January 13, 1903 - November 6, 2013, age 110 years, 297 days) of Corinth, Saint Lucia. She was born in Barbados and emigrated to Saint Lucia in the 40s to work as a domestic worker, going back and forth from Barbados to Saint Lucia before finally settling in Saint Lucia upon retirement. The baptismal record from Saint Andrews Parish, Barbados is dated February 22, 1903, and gives her date of birth as January 13, 1903. She is recorded as Elsie Claradine Hall, and only her mother's name, Mary Hall, is listed on the baptismal record. Her obituary also mentions that she used the last name Hall at some point. I also have the baptismal records of several siblings of Elsie that record their parents as James Christopher Ward and Mary Elizabeth Hall, most of them omitting the parents' middle names. Still need to find mid-life documentation, but this case does seem to be true at first glance.

Dejan reacted
Jef
 Jef
(@jef)
Fan

Posted by: @sailor-haumea

Does Saint Lucia count as Latin America? In addition to English, pretty much all of the country's inhabitants speak a creole derived from French. If it counts, I just located the baptismal record for Elsie Ward (January 13, 1903 - November 6, 2013, age 110 years, 297 days) of Corinth, Saint Lucia. She was born in Barbados and emigrated to Saint Lucia in the 40s to work as a domestic worker, going back and forth from Barbados to Saint Lucia before finally settling in Saint Lucia upon retirement. The baptismal record from Saint Andrews Parish, Barbados is dated February 22, 1903, and gives her date of birth as January 13, 1903. She is recorded as Elsie Claradine Hall, and only her mother's name, Mary Hall, is listed on the baptismal record. Her obituary also mentions that she used the last name Hall at some point. I also have the baptismal records of several siblings of Elsie that record their parents as James Christopher Ward and Mary Elizabeth Hall, most of them omitting the parents' middle names. Still need to find mid-life documentation, but this case does seem to be true at first glance

Its only official language is English, so no.

Dejan reacted
ReplyQuote
(@sailor-haumea)
Fan
Topic starter  
Posted by: @jef

Does Saint Lucia count as Latin America? In addition to English, pretty much all of the country's inhabitants speak a creole derived from French. If it counts, I just located the baptismal record for Elsie Ward (January 13, 1903 - November 6, 2013, age 110 years, 297 days) of Corinth, Saint Lucia. She was born in Barbados and emigrated to Saint Lucia in the 40s to work as a domestic worker, going back and forth from Barbados to Saint Lucia before finally settling in Saint Lucia upon retirement. The baptismal record from Saint Andrews Parish, Barbados is dated February 22, 1903, and gives her date of birth as January 13, 1903. She is recorded as Elsie Claradine Hall, and only her mother's name, Mary Hall, is listed on the baptismal record. Her obituary also mentions that she used the last name Hall at some point. I also have the baptismal records of several siblings of Elsie that record their parents as James Christopher Ward and Mary Elizabeth Hall, most of them omitting the parents' middle names. Still need to find mid-life documentation, but this case does seem to be true at first glance

Well, most Saint Lucian media is in both English and Patwa/Kwéyòl (Saint Lucian Creole), it's just that the latter is not an official language yet. Pretty much everyone on the island is fluent in both languages. There's been a movement since the 80s that has steadily increased the usage of Kwéyòl across the country and it seems only a matter of time before it becomes an official language of the country.

Dejan reacted
ReplyQuote
Jef
 Jef
(@jef)
Fan

it seems only a matter of time before it becomes an official language of the country.

When that happens, it might be arguable that it's a Latin American country.

Dejan and Sailor Haumea reacted
ReplyQuote
Jef
 Jef
(@jef)
Fan

Kwéyòl 

Actually, before we even discuss that, is St. Lucia creole even considered a romance language? I don't see it listed here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romance_languages

Dejan and Sailor Haumea reacted
ReplyQuote
Share: