Félix Sienra (URU, 1916-2023)

4 Posts
4 Users
4 Likes
Charlesm09
(@charlesm09)
Fan
Topic starter  

The oldest living former Olympic athlete and Uruguay’s oldest living man, Mr. Félix Fructuoso Sienra Castellanos - of Montevideo, Uruguay - sadly passed away today, 30 January 2023, at the age of 107 years, 9 days. He was born on 21 January 1916. Rest in peace.

Source:  https://www.elobservador.com.uy/nota/a- ... 3130144749

Interested in supercentenarians since 27 July 2018.
First supercentenarian I learned about: Kane Tanaka (1903-2022)

Dejan reacted
ChrisR
(@chrisr)
Fan

This is very sad news.

It’s only last week that we were discussing him on this Forum -  and enjoying the very detailed and funny interview he recently gave, including perhaps “over celebrating” Uruguays World Cup triumph in 1930.

diego reacted
ReplyQuote
FinbarrC
(@finbarrc)
Supercentenarian Fan

A real shame. He seemed physically and mentally alert in that interview. But we know a week is a long time at 107. Now the oldest Olympian is 102yo Yvonne Chabot-Curtet.

https://finbarrconnolly.com/chronicle/

diego reacted
ReplyQuote
024Tomi
(@024tomi)
Fan and researcher

I'm happy that the interview was published and we could get to know him in his lifetime. I translated it from English to my dad, who's also very interested in centenarians and even more in sports history, and he was quite moved by Sienra's story. He hoped he would become a supercentenarian, and I think we all did. Fate thought it otherwise.

Rest in peace, Félix Sienra, oldest verified Olympian ever.

ESO Correspondent for Hungary (since 2020)
GRG Correspondent for Hungary (2020-2023)
Tracker and researcher of Hungarian and other Central European (super)centenarians (since 2016)
Enthusiast of extreme longevity (since childhood)

diego reacted
ReplyQuote
Share: