485 Posts
34 Users
528 Reactions
26.6 K Views
Marco
(@marco)
Fan

Recent validations, accepted on 17, 18, and 19 February 2024:

Lulu Winkelman, USA, 3 Apr 1913 - Present, 110+ years.

Launa Mitchell, USA, 23 May 1913 - Present, 110+ years. (Already validated by LQ.)

Reine Salmon, FRA, 16 July 1913 - 5 Jan 2024, 110 years and 173 days. (Already validated by the ESO.)

Recently announced validations, retroactively accepted on 6 and 9 November 2016:

Eliza Taylor, USA, 16 Dec 1849 - 27 May 1960, 110 years and 163 days.

Harriet Coulter, USA, 7 Mar 1876 - 8 July 1986, 110 years and 123 days.

Especially the validation of Eliza Taylor is an interesting one. The GRG has not yet accepted Robert Early's age as true, nor does it recognise LQ's validation of Mr Early's age, so in the eyes of the GRG, Eliza Taylor is a retroactive WOP, fitting in nicely between Chrissemeuje Karnebeek-Backs and Mary Kelly. Oddly, the GRG has seemingly made no attempt to contact GWR to see Eliza Taylor celebrated as a former WOP. Yet another interesting change in course...

Overduidelijk misschien.

diego reacted
ReplyQuote
JimJim00
(@jimjim00)
Fan

Posted by: @marco

The GRG has not yet accepted Robert Early's age as true, nor does it recognise LQ's validation of Mr Early's age, so in the eyes of the GRG, Eliza Taylor is a retroactive WOP, fitting in nicely between Chrissemeuje Karnebeek-Backs and Mary Kelly.

What's next, validating Louise Godejohann's claimed age, being another 'retroactive WOP', rather than accepting Robert Early's final age? 

Marco reacted
ReplyQuote
(@chris)
Fan

Especially the validation of Eliza Taylor is an interesting one. The GRG has not yet accepted Robert Early's age as true, nor does it recognise LQ's validation of Mr Early's age, so in the eyes of the GRG, Eliza Taylor is a retroactive WOP, fitting in nicely between Chrissemeuje Karnebeek-Backs and Mary Kelly. 

Not only that, the commentary on their forum appears to mistake Robert Early for a woman:

Eliza may have been the world’s oldest woman at the time of her death, but this is unclear – the pending case of Robert Alexander Early has yet to be accepted by Guinness World Records as the oldest living person at that time, having been born in October 1849 and passing away in October 1960.

ESO Co-Founder and Administrator (since 1 January 2020)

ReplyQuote
Mendocino
(@mendocino)
Fan

Posted by: @chris

Especially the validation of Eliza Taylor is an interesting one. The GRG has not yet accepted Robert Early's age as true, nor does it recognise LQ's validation of Mr Early's age, so in the eyes of the GRG, Eliza Taylor is a retroactive WOP, fitting in nicely between Chrissemeuje Karnebeek-Backs and Mary Kelly. 

Not only that, the commentary on their forum appears to mistake Robert Early for a woman:

Eliza may have been the world’s oldest woman at the time of her death, but this is unclear – the pending case of Robert Alexander Early has yet to be accepted by Guinness World Records as the oldest living person at that time, having been born in October 1849 and passing away in October 1960.

I don't understand why they need to wait for GWR to verify a case whenever they happen to be a former WOP titleholder.

Profile picture: Marita Camacho Quirós (1911-Present)

ReplyQuote
Marco
(@marco)
Fan

Posted by: @mendocino

I don't understand why they need to wait for GWR to verify a case whenever they happen to be a former WOP titleholder.

I think this might have to do with the fact that it concerns a Guinness World Record.

Overduidelijk misschien.

ReplyQuote
(@930310)
Gerontology student

Are they still doing that? The GWR lists must be so incredibly outdated by now.

ReplyQuote
Marco
(@marco)
Fan

Recent validation, accepted on 20 February 2024:

Milly Skjordahl, USA, 10 June??? 1913 - Present, 110+ years. (Already validated by LQ.)

Yet another SC validated with the wrong date of birth...

Recently announced validation, retroactively accepted on 12 November 2016:

Anna Wilmot, USA/PHL, 15 Aug 1898 - 10 May 2009, 110 years and 268 days. (Already validated by LQ.)

Overduidelijk misschien.

ReplyQuote
(@billy-robinson)
Supercentenarian Fan

The GRG has now revalidated her with the correct birthday, they apparently got June and July mixed up.

ReplyQuote
heatwave116
(@heatwave116)
Fan

Posted by: @billy-robinson

The GRG has now revalidated her with the correct birthday, they apparently got June and July mixed up.

Nice to see the scientific organisation's attention to detail...

ReplyQuote
Mendocino
(@mendocino)
Fan

Posted by: @heatwave116

Posted by: @billy-robinson

Nice to see the scientific organisation's attention to detail...

I thought their main excuse for never removing false cases like Mathew Beard and Ann Pouder close to a decade after being debunked was the fact that they needed to be meticulously re-researched and presented in front of a scientific conference before the validation can be withdrawn. Yet at the same time, other validations are completely paper-thin and can be revised after being published.

They literally had LQ publicly showcasing her actual DOB for them to copy, yet they still managed to screw it up.

Ale76 and heatwave116 reacted
ReplyQuote
Marco
(@marco)
Fan

Recent validation, accepted on 21 February 2024:

Catherine Gode, FRA, 18 Jan 1914 - Present, 110+ years.

Recently announced validation, retroactively accepted on 18 November 2016:

Eleze Waesche, USA, 9 Feb 1867 - 9 Mar 1977, 110 years and 28 days.

Overduidelijk misschien.

ReplyQuote
Marco
(@marco)
Fan

Recently announced validation, retroactively accepted on 21 November 2016:

Rosamond McCuskey, USA, 4 Nov 1887 - 31 Aug 1998, 110 years and 300 days.

Overduidelijk misschien.

ReplyQuote
Marco
(@marco)
Fan

Recent validations, accepted on 23 and 24 February 2024:

Kitty Donathy, UK, 5 Feb 1914 - 9 Feb 2024, 110 years and 4 days.

Jeannette Laham, FRA, 1 Feb 1914 - Present, 110+ years. (Already ESO-validated.)

Overduidelijk misschien.

ReplyQuote
Marco
(@marco)
Fan

Recently announced validations, retroactively accepted on 27 and 30 November 2016:

Jeannette Kennedy, USA, 6 Jan 1891 - 16 Aug 2001, 110 years and 222 days.

Lela Powers, USA, 15 Nov 1894 - 19 Jan 2005, 110 years and 65 days.

Overduidelijk misschien.

diego reacted
ReplyQuote
Marco
(@marco)
Fan

Recent validations, accepted on 25 and 26 February 2024:

Doris Noreen, USA, 15 Sept 1913 - Present, 110+ years. (Already LQ-validated.)

Ollie Lawson, USA, 21 Nov 1913 - Present, 110+ years. (Already LQ-validated.)

Recently announced validations, retroactively accepted on 3 and 6 December 2016:

Helen Bowerman, USA, 11 June 1899 - 5 Feb 2010, 110 years and 239 days.

Ora Mae Hines, USA, 10 Feb 1903 - 16 Nov 2013, 110 years and 279 days.

Overduidelijk misschien.

ReplyQuote
Marco
(@marco)
Fan

Recent validation, accepted on 27 February 2024:

Mary Franklin, USA, 3 Feb 1913 - Present, 111+ years. (Already LQ-validated.)

Recently announced validations, retroactively accepted on 9 and 12 December 2016:

Mary Grant, USA, 22 Nov 1891 - 2 Apr 2002, 110 years and 131 days.

Jannetta Conway, USA, 6 Nov 1897 - 14 Dec 2007, 110 years and 38 days.

Overduidelijk misschien.

ReplyQuote
Marco
(@marco)
Fan

Recent validation, accepted on 28 February 2024:

Angélica Tiscornia, ARG, 22 Aug 1912 - Present, 111+ years. (Already LQ-validated.)

Recently announced validation, retroactively accepted on 15 December 2016:

Gail Stites, USA, 6 Dec 1899 - 26 Dec 2009, 110 years and 20 days.

Overduidelijk misschien.

ReplyQuote
Marco
(@marco)
Fan

Recent validation, accepted on 29 February 2024:

Gisèle Riboust, FRA, 11 Feb 1914 - Present, 110+ years.

Overduidelijk misschien.

diego reacted
ReplyQuote
Marco
(@marco)
Fan

Recent validation, accepted on 1 March 2024:

Ana Luisa Garcia, PRI, 22 Aug 1913 - Present, 110+ years. (Already LQ-validated.)

Recently announced validations, retroactively accepted in December 2016:

Verna Mae Helm, USA, 17 Aug 1900 - 7 Mar 2011, 110 years and 202 days.

Lucy DeFio, USA, 9 Dec 1900 - 8 Feb 2011, 110 years and 61 days.

Louise Michaels, USA, 20 Nov 1901 - 16 Mar 2012, 110 years and 117 days.

Alma Mack, USA, 6 Dec 1901 - 5 Aug 2012, 110 years and 243 days.

Overduidelijk misschien.

diego reacted
ReplyQuote
heatwave116
(@heatwave116)
Fan

The GRG is pumping out validations today I see. If we didn't already know they were rushing, we can tell by looking at their 2017 validations list, where they have misspelt the names of six supercentenarians.

https://www.grg-supercentenarians.org/2017-validations/

ReplyQuote
heatwave116
(@heatwave116)
Fan

Posted by: @heatwave116

The GRG is pumping out validations today I see. If we didn't already know they were rushing, we can tell by looking at their 2017 validations list, where they have misspelt the names of six supercentenarians.

https://www.grg-supercentenarians.org/2017-validations/

Since apparently they can't find the errors:

Tressa Bartholemew (should be Bartholomew)

Leta Nolan (should be Nolen)

Anna Marie Rosati (should be Maria)

Kiki Usami (should be Kiku)

Masazo Nonako (should be Nonaka)

Diega Cammellari (should be Cammalleri)

ChrisR and Sailor Haumea reacted
ReplyQuote
Marco
(@marco)
Fan

Recent validation, accepted on 2 March 2024:

Belia Engracia Cabezas Araya, CRI, 30 Aug 1913 - Present, 110+ years.

Recently announced validations, retroactively accepted in January 2017:

Jenny Sell, USA, 28 Nov 1901 - 1 May 2012, 110 years and 155 days.

Ruth Leiber, USA, 24 Mar 1902 - 6 Sept 2012, 110 years and 166 days.

Helene Byrne, USA, 12 Sept 1902 - 27 June 2013, 110 years and 288 days.

Bessie Higgins, USA, 23 Dec 1902 - 7 July 2013, 110 years and 196 days.

Eleanor Nielsen, USA, 26 Jan 1903 - 26 Jan 2013, 110 years and 0 days.

Margaret Cunningham, USA, 23 June 1903 - 21 Oct 2013, 110 years and 120 days.

Overduidelijk misschien.

ChrisR reacted
ReplyQuote
(@olliegrg)
Supercentenarian Fan

@heatwave116 

I will be correcting these today. When copying them over from the old grg website (these were already validated in 2017) all I can say is that I must have been very tired when I did it. My spelling is usually pretty good. 

When I was informed there were mistakes, I had assumed it was the six newly added ones, which is why I had said I could find no mistakes.

So these will be put right today 🙂

ReplyQuote
(@olliegrg)
Supercentenarian Fan

@mendocino 

What post of yours is this? I did not review any posts before re-researching this lady.

ReplyQuote
(@olliegrg)
Supercentenarian Fan

@marco 

Regarding Florence Canonic - her death certificate shows that she died in Temple City, Los Angeles, California. It also shows that her final resting place was Reno, Nevada. As the death certificate is an official document, we went with this 🙂

Marco reacted
ReplyQuote
Mendocino
(@mendocino)
Fan

Posted by: @olliegrg

@mendocino 

What post of yours is this? I did not review any posts before re-researching this lady.

The research that I conducted into her case was copied to her Gerontology Wiki profile, which I assume is how you found her maiden name and parents' names, since no other source on the internet (aside from LQ) mentions it.

Also, can you please explain how you managed to validate Angélica Tiscornia without any public sources confirming her maternal surname and parents' names? According to the nursing home, nobody else has contacted them. If you're going to use the research of LAS/LQ to guide your validation, then I think you should acknowledge this in the credits. Again, it took us over two years to confirm that her documents were actually a match.

Again, none of this would be an issue at face value, since LQ recognizes many validations performed by the GRG. The only problem is that your organization refuses to even acknowledge the existence of LQ, with your leader calling it an illegitimate source that needs to be censored from forum and wiki posts, while simultaneously benefiting from our research. I understand that you don't appear to hold this same rabid hostility towards LQ that Waclaw Jan Kroczek does, but I just don't understand why you're still actively condoning this behavior by associating with him. 

Ale76 reacted
ReplyQuote
Marco
(@marco)
Fan

Posted by: @olliegrg

@marco 

Regarding Florence Canonic - her death certificate shows that she died in Temple City, Los Angeles, California. It also shows that her final resting place was Reno, Nevada. As the death certificate is an official document, we went with this 🙂

Good to read you've purchased the death certificate! I'll amend her state of death in my files.

Overduidelijk misschien.

OllieGRG reacted
ReplyQuote
(@olliegrg)
Supercentenarian Fan

@marco 

👍 👍 

ReplyQuote
(@olliegrg)
Supercentenarian Fan

@mendocino 

Angelica Tiscornia - I did this by working backwards. I looked at the main article about her - this gave her name, place of birth and date of birth. Putting these things into familysearch gave me what I needed - birth record, baptism, marriage etc. This all fitted with what was known about her from the article. No, I did not contact the home. And while I did not know her parents names, one of them had to have the surname Tiscornia. Looking at other records, I could find nobody else who came close to fitting the bill.

As for the GRG / LQ 'battle', I'd rather not discuss it to be honest. I'm not here for that. 

ReplyQuote
(@olliegrg)
Supercentenarian Fan

Posted by: @mendocino

Recent validation, accepted on 26 January 2024:

Hazel Schultz, CAN/USA, 12 Jan 1913 - Present, 111+ years. (Previously validated by LQ.)

There is no publicly available information on her maiden name and parents' names, and they only validated her due to my research, which involved me scouring census records and newspaper articles to locate. It's hilarious to see Oliver take credit for "validating" her case when all he did was read my post to get the necessary information.

The same can be said for Hazel Schultz as Angelica Tiscornia. It isn't hard to 'work backwards', as it were. Look at articles about them, find a DOB, name, place of birth,  perhaps children's names. Put it into ancestry.com and find a census. Or sometimes find a family tree that gives clues. You find the marriage and then the maiden name and find the earliest documents. For instance, the article on Hazel from June 2023 gave childrens names, husbands names. So then finding the marriage you get the maiden name. 

I would like to point out that I do my own research. Assuming I find everything from the Wiki is untrue. So not hilarious after all 😉

diego reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 14 / 17
Share: