81 Posts
9 Users
63 Likes
Gabriel_PT
(@gabriel_pt)
Fan
Topic starter  

Maria Raquel de Almeida Guerra (25.08.1914 - 01.10.2021) 107 years and 37 days

She was born in Benedita, Leiria District and died in the same place.

She was the second-oldest known living person in Leiria District, at the time of her death.

Facebook

Maria Raquel de Almeida Guerra Agência Duarte - Serviços Funerários Alcobaça, Organizar Funeral, Cremações, Trasladação, Tanoestética, Tanopraxia, Sepulturas (agenciaduarte.pt)

Arnaldo Sousa Branco (16.12.1911 - 07.01.2017) 105 years and 22 days

He died in Silves, Faro District.

He was the oldest known living man and oldest known living person in Faro District, at the time of his death. 

Facebook

Facebook

ESO Correspondent for Portugal

diego and stoa-oid reacted
ReplyQuote
Gabriel_PT
(@gabriel_pt)
Fan
Topic starter  

Matilde da Conceição Cruz (08.12.1910 - 17.04.2018) 107 years and 130 days

She was born in Alfaião, Bragança District, and died in Gimonde, Bragança District.

She was the second-oldest known living person in Bragança District, at the time of her death.

Facebook

Facebook

diego reacted
ReplyQuote
Gabriel_PT
(@gabriel_pt)
Fan
Topic starter  

I found another Portuguese supercentenarian:

Her name was Domingas and she was born on 13 November 1903.

Her nephew made two facebook posts about her on her 110th and 111th birthdays. Her nephew lives in Lisbon.

Probably she was the oldest person in Portugal since the death of Maria Dolores Ferreira, aged 111, who died on 31 July 2013.

110th birthday:

Facebook

111th birthday:

Facebook

ChrisR, diego and heatwave116 reacted
ReplyQuote
Gabriel_PT
(@gabriel_pt)
Fan
Topic starter  

João Sebastião Ferreira (27.01.1889 - 13.04.1998) 109 years and 76 days

He was born in the parish of Santa Maria Maior, Funchal, Madeira, Portugal and died in the parish of São Pedro, Funchal, Madeira, Portugal. 

He was the oldest known person ever from Madeira at the time of his death and the oldest known living man from Portugal at that time.

On his baptism record it is mentioned that he was born on 27 January 1889 (not 20 January 1889).

Joao Sebastião Ferreira (1889 - 1998) - Genealogy (geni.com)

Representação digital - Livro de registo de baptismos de Santa Maria Maior do ano de 1889 - Arquivo e Biblioteca da Madeira - Archeevo - page 25

diego and Dejan reacted
ReplyQuote
Gabriel_PT
(@gabriel_pt)
Fan
Topic starter  

Elídia Nogueira da Silva (07.12.1911 - 10.09.2021) 109 years and 277 days

She was born in Angeja, Albergaria-a-Velha, Aveiro District and died in the same place.

She was the oldest known living woman in Aveiro District and the second-oldest known living person in Aveiro District, behind Alberto Andrade.

Facebook

A voz de Albergaria | **dos Bombeiros Albergaria-a-Velha ** | Facebook

À família e aos amigos, a Freguesia de... - Freguesia de Angeja | Facebook

diego reacted
ReplyQuote
Gabriel_PT
(@gabriel_pt)
Fan
Topic starter  

Maria Ribeiro (07.01.1907 - c.2014) 107 years and 0+ days

She was born in Rabacinas, Proença-a-Nova, Castelo Branco District and must have died in the same place around 2014. Her granddaughter made a Facebook Post in 2015, indicating that her grandmother died at the age of 107.

She was the second-oldest known living person in Castelo Branco District, behind Piedade da Conceição Vicente.

Aldeia de Rabacinas faz festa a aldeã de 105 anos - Portugal - Correio da Manhã (cmjornal.pt)

Sílvia Gonçalves | Facebook

Ela tem razão eh eh , a minha avó chegou aos... - Sílvia Gonçalves | Facebook

diego reacted
ReplyQuote
Mendocino
(@mendocino)
Fan

Maria Jesus, from Lisbon, died on 24 October 1934 at the claimed age of 116. While already far-fetched, this claim becomes even stranger when you see what her cause of death was:

It would be interesting to see how old she actually was, although her name is extremely generic, so I'm not sure how easy this would be. 

Profile picture: Marita Camacho Quirós (1911-Present)

siam, diego and Gabriel_PT reacted
ReplyQuote
Gabriel_PT
(@gabriel_pt)
Fan
Topic starter  

@mendocino in Portugal, until the 1950s there were many longevity myths. Despite the Portuguese population being registered/baptized since the 16th or 17th centuries, most people was illiterate and did not know exactly their date of birth.

I have a few more cases here, but I doubt that any of them were really a supercentenarian:

siam, diego and Mendocino reacted
ReplyQuote
(@930310)
Gerontology student

I always like researching very old claims because I am sure that there probably is a true 110+ claim from the late 1800s and several from the early 1900s out there waiting to be discovered and researched. 

ChrisR, Gabriel_PT, Aquanaut and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@guillaume)
Fan

@gabriel_pt

Is there a possibility to easily investigate some of these old claims?

Several Western European countries have their old longevity claims been more or less researched (UK, Netherlands, Belgium, France, Germany, Italy) but I've never seen anything like this for Spain and Portugal. I think these two countries can hide some interesting cases, not necessarily SCs, but maybe potential WOPs of 107, 108 or 109 years from the 19th or the beginning of the 20th century.

diego and Gabriel_PT reacted
ReplyQuote
Gabriel_PT
(@gabriel_pt)
Fan
Topic starter  

@guillaume I have already researched some cases of Portuguese longevity myths and of the ones that I researched, none of them was actually a centenarian.

These are some examples:

Salvador Nunes (they didn't know exactly how old he was, but they believed he was 108 years old at the time of his death)

I found his marriage record which has information about his date of birth 

He was born on 16 January 1855 and died on 16 January 1954, at the age of 99.

Josefa Fernandes (it was said in the news at the time that she was 110 years old)

I found her death record and her birth record:

She was born on 25 December 1781 and died on 22 September 1872, at the age of 90.

Prudência da Trindade (it was said in the news that she died at the age of 109)

When I investigated this case, I found her marriage record which indicated how old she was when she got married. I think it also said that she was an orphan. 

Unfortunately I didn't keep the marriage record and I don't know how to find it anymore. But she was 92 when she died in 1943, according to her age on the marriage record.

EDITED: I found her marriage record from 1878 when she was 27 years old.

This post was modified 10 months ago by Gabriel_PT

Guillaume reacted
ReplyQuote
Gabriel_PT
(@gabriel_pt)
Fan
Topic starter  

Moreover, in the annual demographic statistics of Portugal, there are many centenarians and supercentenarians who died every year:

For example, in 1954 died in Portugal:

1 man aged 108 (Salvador Nunes - 99 years old)

1 woman aged 108 ?

1 man and 1 woman aged 109 ?

2 women aged 110 ?

1 woman aged 112 ?

Source

diego and Guillaume reacted
ReplyQuote
Gabriel_PT
(@gabriel_pt)
Fan
Topic starter  

Brezaliza de Amorim (27.03.1916 - 05.07.2023) 107 years and 100 days

She was born in Cedrim, Aveiro District and died in Paçô de Cedrim, Aveiro District. 

She was the second-oldest known living person in Aveiro District, at the time of her death. 

(her case was unknown until her death/obituary)

Até Sempre (atesempre.pt)

diego reacted
ReplyQuote
Gabriel_PT
(@gabriel_pt)
Fan
Topic starter  

Liberalina Violante Medina (1850? - 1960) 109 years old.

Liberalina was born in São Paulo, Brazil, in 1850, the daughter of slaves. She was also a slave in the first years of her life, until they were all freed. 

At the age of 39 she moved to the archipelago of Azores with her employers. She lived for several years on the island of Graciosa, then she moved to the island of Terceira, where she died in January 1960, at the claimed age of 109.

She was the second-oldest person to die in Portugal, in 1960 (supposedly), based on Portugal's 1960 demographic statistics, behind a 112-year-old woman.

source

This post was modified 9 months ago by Gabriel_PT

diego reacted
ReplyQuote
Gabriel_PT
(@gabriel_pt)
Fan
Topic starter  

A few days ago I found in a newspaper the news of the death of a lady named Virgínia Ornelas Mendes aged 109, who died on 5 May 1960, in Funchal, Madeira Archipelago, Portugal.

Source

It was reported that she was an official teacher and that she had been retired for 65 years. It was also reported that she had never been sick, until December 1959, having always been lucid until her death. She had 4 children, who died long time before her and had 9 grandchildren, 23 great-grandchildren and 2 great-great-grandchildren.

I easily found her marriage record from 1873, where it was reported that she was 26 years old at that time.

Then I also found the baptism records of her 4 children: Romana (b.23.09.1873); João (b.04.03.1875); Abel (b.12.09.1879) and Jordão (b.08.01.1882).

I also discovered her parents' marriage record, from 1858, where it is written that they legitimized their daughter, Virgínia (her). Her parents were Matilde Adelaide Jardim (after the wedding - d'Ornelas) and António Marcial d'Ornelas.

Unfortunately it is not known where are the baptismal books of the parish of Santana, where she was born, between 1835 and 1859. I contacted the Madeira archive and they don't know where are these books, or it is possible that they have been included in the baptismal books from other parishes.

However, the Madeira archive gave me a copy of her death record, which confirms that she was married to António Frederico Mendes and her parents' names match with those from 1858. There was also an amendment dated 13-4-1852 (it should have been her date of birth that was on her baptismal record). She was 108 years old in her death record (in the newspaper it was reported as 109). 

Her age of 108 years matches with the demographic statistics of Portugal from 1960, where it is possible to see that died one woman aged 108.

Death Record:

Her parents' marriage record from 1858:

Representação digital - Livro 6.º de registo de casamentos de Santana (1836/1859) - Arquivo e Biblioteca da Madeira - Archeevo page 264/265

Her marriage record from 1873:

Representação digital - Livro de registo de casamentos de São Pedro do ano de 1873 - Arquivo e Biblioteca da Madeira - Archeevo page 15/16

Baptism record of Virgínia's first child from 1873:

Representação digital - Registo de batismo n.º 85: Romana. Pai: António Frederico Mendes; Mãe: Virgínia Adelaide de Ornelas Mendes - Arquivo e Biblioteca da Madeira - Archeevo

Baptism record of Virgínia's second child from 1875:

Representação digital - Registo de batismo n.º 21: João. Pai: António Frederico Mendes; Mãe: Virgínia Adelaide de Ornelas Mendes - Arquivo e Biblioteca da Madeira - Archeevo

Baptism record of Virgínia's third child from 1879:

Representação digital - Livro de registo de baptismos do Porto da Cruz do ano de 1879 - Arquivo e Biblioteca da Madeira - Archeevo page 79/80

Baptism record of Virgínia's fourth child from 1882:

Representação digital - Registo de batismo n.º 14: Jordão. Pai: António Fredérico Mendes; Mãe: Virgínia Adelaide de Ornelas Mendes, D. - Arquivo e Biblioteca da Madeira - Archeevo

So it is possible to conclude that it is very likely that she was really 108 years old, being currently the earliest known Portuguese centenarian. 

If her date of birth was 13 April 1852, then she was 108 years and 22 days. Her full name was Virgínia Adelaide d'Ornelas (current portuguese: de Ornelas) Mendes.

diego, Ale76, heatwave116 and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Gabriel_PT
(@gabriel_pt)
Fan
Topic starter  

I found two articles about João Sebastião Ferreira, from Madeira, who died aged 109. He was the oldest known living man in Portugal, at the time of his death. 

He was born in the parish of Santa Maria Maior, Funchal, Madeira, Portugal and died in the parish of São Pedro, Funchal, Madeira, Portugal.

He claimed to be born on 20 January 1889, but in his baptism record it is written that he was born on 27 January 1889.

He was a lawyer and was considered the doyen of Portuguese lawyers.

109th birthday:

PT-ABM-COLJOR-DN_19980121.pdf (madeira.gov.pt)

Obituary:

PT-ABM-COLJOR-DN_19980414.pdf (madeira.gov.pt)

diego, 024Tomi and Mendocino reacted
ReplyQuote
Gabriel_PT
(@gabriel_pt)
Fan
Topic starter  

@seto2001 discovered another Portuguese supercentenarian: Laurinda da Conceição (18.05.1904 - 09.11.2015) 111 years and 175 days

It was through this Facebook post that it was possible to seto2001 discover this Portuguese supercentenarian! She was the oldest person in Portugal at that time:

Luis Marques - Finalmente consegui falar com a pessoa mais idosa... | Facebook

@seto2001 also located Laurinda da Conceição’s baptism record.

I found two editions of the newspaper "Serras de Ansião" where she was reported as the oldest person in Portugal:

Facebook

Facebook

Thanks for the great discovery @seto2001!

This post was modified 7 months ago 2 times by Gabriel_PT

diego, MrCatlord, Marco and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Gabriel_PT
(@gabriel_pt)
Fan
Topic starter  

Maria das Dores Pais (08.07.1904 - 17.11.2012) 108 years and 132 days

She was born in Póvoa de Santo António, Nelas, Viseu District and died in the same place. 

She was the oldest known living person in Viseu District, at the time of her death.

Para que a memória não se apague | Jornal Online do Concelho de Nelas (nelasonline.blogspot.com) - poem that she recited when she was 100 years old

PT-ADVIS-PRQ-PNLS01-001-0013_m0282.tif - Baptismos - Arquivo Distrital de Viseu - DigitArq (arquivos.pt) - page 282 (baptism record)

diego reacted
ReplyQuote
Gabriel_PT
(@gabriel_pt)
Fan
Topic starter  

Fantina Veríssimo Coelho (06.02.1913 - 20.07.2021) 108 years and 164 days

She was born in Sesimbra, Setúbal District and died in the same place.

She was the oldest known living person in Setúbal District, at the time of her death.

106th birthday

108th birthday

Death report

diego reacted
ReplyQuote
Gabriel_PT
(@gabriel_pt)
Fan
Topic starter  

António Guerreiro Fome (c.1909 - 12.02.2016) 107 years and ? days

He died in Loulé, Faro District.

He was the oldest known living man in Faro District and the second-oldest known living man in Portugal, at the time of his death.

(5) Facebook

(5) Faleceu o louletano mais antigo. Penso que... - António Palma Clareza | Facebook

diego reacted
ReplyQuote
Gabriel_PT
(@gabriel_pt)
Fan
Topic starter  

This previous unknown woman died today, aged 110. 

She was born in Guarda district, and was living in Setúbal. She is the first known supercentenarian that lived in Setúbal district.

I will investigate her case in the next days, to validate her.

May she rest in peace 🌻

diego, 024Tomi, WellAbove110 and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 3
Share: