Jintaro Tanaka (JPN, 1879-1967?/1997)

8 Posts
3 Users
8 Likes
Aquanaut
(@aquanaut)
Fan
Topic starter  

Mr. Jintaro Tanaka was a Japanese man who claimed to have been born on 15th April, 1879 and died on his 118th birthday in 1997. According to The Calment Project, they found an obituary from 1967, asserting that Mr. Tanaka actually died aged 88. But upon further investigation, he didn't actually die. He was reported as "missing" for 2 months, before the search was called off. According to family and friends, he was "lost at sea". I highly doubt that this man died on his 118th birthday, but there's some bizarre things about his case. I still found it interesting to research, although it's like 99.9999% chance he was actually 88, and not 118.ย 

This video explains his case in depth

I still find it odd that The Calment Project did a very thorough investigation on his case and listed him as "unlikely" rather than their usual listing of either confirmed or debunked. If you have any more information on Mr. Tanaka please post it here, as this case is extremely interesting to me. There's tons of bizarre twists and turns to this case, but I'm pretty sure he was only 88. Nevertheless, this was one of my favorite cases to research.ย 

|Male| ๐ŸŽฎGamer๐ŸŽฎ > ๐Ÿ‘•Fashion Lover๐Ÿ‘• > ๐Ÿ•ถChore Motivator๐Ÿ•ถ
Favorite Male SC: Juan Vicente Pรฉrez Mora
Favorite Female SCs: Lucile Randon & Kane Tanaka
๐Ÿ˜And the kind of guy that's always down to chat๐Ÿ˜

diego reacted
(@930310)
Gerontology student

His grave confirms that he died in 1967. https://sv.findagrave.com/memorial/225938646/jintaro-tanaka

diego and Aquanaut reacted
ReplyQuote
Mendocino
(@mendocino)
Fan

Posted by: @930310

His grave confirms that he died in 1967. https://sv.findagrave.com/memorial/225938646/jintaro-tanaka

This is slightly unrelated, but wasn't there a male Japanese-American SC claim on Find A Grave who died in the early 2000s aged ~113? I thought I remembered seeing him posted on the 110 Club, but I wasn't able to find him when I searched recently. If I'm not mistaken, his wife was also a centenarian. The gravestone also supported the correct years of birth/death (something like 1890-2004).

ย 

Profile picture: Marita Camacho Quirรณs (1911-Present)

diego reacted
ReplyQuote
(@930310)
Gerontology student

Posted by: @mendocino

Posted by: @930310

This is slightly unrelated, but wasn't there a male Japanese-American SC claim on Find A Grave who died in the early 2000s aged ~113? I thought I remembered seeing him posted on the 110 Club, but I wasn't able to find him when I searched recently. If I'm not mistaken, his wife was also a centenarian. The gravestone also supported the correct years of birth/death (something like 1890-2004).

ย 

Can't find him on my list either: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1H4L1qp78k8drvtdlV3smyR7X-A5_Ui7h-sLvoEv2qq8/edit#gid=0

ย 

diego reacted
ReplyQuote
Aquanaut
(@aquanaut)
Fan
Topic starter  

@930310 wow that's an impressive list!

diego reacted
ReplyQuote
Aquanaut
(@aquanaut)
Fan
Topic starter  

@930310 the strange thing is though is that this one website shows that another obituary was released in 1997 confirming another Jintaro Tanaka died on his 118th birthday on 15th April, 1997. The link is unavailable to the public which is quite suspicious. I will agree with you that the 1967 gravestone definitely weakens his case by a million, especially because it also confirms his April 15th birthday.ย 

ย 

I think it's safe to say that the only way Jintaro Tanaka lived to be 118 would be is if there were 2 Jintaro Tanakas, both born on April 15th 1879 in the same Japanese town, both moved to Hawaii, and both had a son with the exact same name. Not only would our 118 year old Jintaro Tanaka would've had to have beaten the odds to live to 118, but he would've also had to have beaten the odds that another man with the same name was born on the exact same day in the same small village... move to Hawaii... same son...etc There is however this link here

https://www.ancientfaces.com/person/jintaro-tanaka-birth-1879-death-1997/90383637

ย 

I would have to unfortunately agree with the Calment Project that his case is extremely unlikely, and the odds show he was probably 88 when he died and not 118. I think we should close his case as the odds are so slim that he was 118, it's not worth looking into anymore, no disrespect to Mr. Tanaka of course. It is with extreme doubt that his life would have had so many coincidences with another man. Case closed

ReplyQuote
(@930310)
Gerontology student

@aquanaut_chalk that isn't an obituary. It's a summary thatโ€™s autogenerated from another source, such as the SSDI. When people have gone missing or have disappeared from the system it can take a while for them to be declared deceased.

diego reacted
ReplyQuote
Aquanaut
(@aquanaut)
Fan
Topic starter  

@930310 oh ok. That makes sense now. I had thought it was another obituary, but I see it now. I doubt even more that he was 118 now. Unless this bizarre one in a trillion theory of there being 2 Jintaro Tanakas with super similar lives gathers any more evidence, I'm going to say with heavy heart that he is debunked.

diego reacted
ReplyQuote
Share: