Notifications
Clear all

Futurist's Topic

217 Posts
20 Users
97 Likes
(@futurist)
Fan

@Mendocino You have an Ancestry.com subscription, right? Could you please tell me the parents for Mary Campana (May 26, 1902-May (exact date in May uncertain) 1984), from Ohio? I have strong reason to suspect that she is Michael DeSantis's (1899-2009) sister, but I need to know the names of her parents to make sure. Michael's parents were Querino/Quinton Anthony DeSantis and Angela Volpi/Volpe. 

diego reacted
ReplyQuote
(@futurist)
Fan

I'm sorry; make that Marietta Campana. Mary was the short version of her name but her full name was Marietta. That's the name for her on her US SSDI.

ReplyQuote
(@futurist)
Fan

[EDIT by Admin: removed for racist content.]

Ale76 and ChrisR reacted
ReplyQuote
ChrisR
(@chrisr)
Fan

Futurist, that’s insensitive to all the genuinely decent people from those countries, who form the vast majority of their respective populations.

It is also disparaging towards many valued members and friends on this Forum.

ReplyQuote
(@futurist)
Fan

Posted by: @chrisr

That’s insensitive to all the genuinely decent people from those countries, who form the vast majority of their respective populations.

I didn't say that [EDIT by Admin: removed for racist content], which is accurate.

Please don't put words in my mouth and imply that I said things that I didn't actually say.

EDIT by Admin: what ChrisR said is exactly what you said.

Ale76 reacted
ReplyQuote
ChrisR
(@chrisr)
Fan

Just stand back and look at every post before you send it.

Whilst it wasn’t your intention, the full wording could also be considered racist in my own country.

ReplyQuote
(@futurist)
Fan

I've got data to prove my assertion here:

[EDIT by Admin: please don't. Know when you should stop.]

Ale76 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@futurist)
Fan

Just stand back and look at every post before you send it.

Whilst it wasn’t your intention, the full wording could also be considered racist in my own country.

[EDIT by Admin: again, learn to understand when enough is enough.]

ReplyQuote
ChrisR
(@chrisr)
Fan

We are talking about different thinks here Fururist.

How about you and I leave it at that.

Enjoy your evening and weekend.

ReplyQuote
(@futurist)
Fan

[EDIT by Admin, the next question is Futurist's: [i]s it offensive to refer to countries as [removed] on the basis of average statistics? Serious question.

Answer by Admin: Yes, it is. That's considered racism.]

ReplyQuote
(@futurist)
Fan

We are talking about different thinks here Fururist.

How about you and I leave it at that.

Enjoy your evening and weekend.

I'm willing to drop this subject.

ReplyQuote
(@futurist)
Fan

And thanks; you too! Enjoy your weekend, Chris! 🙂

And Yeah, quite sad what's happening with Latin America. 🙁

ChrisR and diego reacted
ReplyQuote
Admin
(@admin)
Administrator Admin
Topic starter  

Posted by: @futurist

Off-topic, but here's an interesting question: [insensitive question about Latin America.]

Futurist, that is your third strike. As ChrisR has explained above, this post can be considered racist, especially in the way you have phrased it.

This means you will be suspended for one month. Please - please! - take the time to review what led to your suspension and take away the feedback you've received from those missteps. Your main area of improvement: knowing when not to say anything.

We'll see you again on 26 March 2023.

Record_116 and Ale76 reacted
ReplyQuote
diego
(@diego)
Fan

I will miss the comments of futurist, honestly I do not see much problem in them, this of violence in Latin America and some states of the USA I even understand that it can be considered offensive and unnecessary, but I live in Latin America and did not find, the others I do not see any problem, are interesting and pertinent comments, and some curiosities too

ReplyQuote
(@futurist)
Fan

I found a new Mexican-American semi-SC case: Luisa/Luiza De Lara (1885-1995). She died in the US at age 109. I've checked her documentation on FamilySearch.org and everything appears to be solid in her case. Her parents' names on her SSA application match with those on her birth record and marriage record, et cetera.

diego reacted
ReplyQuote
 siam
(@siam)
Fan

@futurist Luisa, not "Luiza". "Luiza" is wrongly written.

diego reacted
ReplyQuote
(@futurist)
Fan

Posted by: @siam

@futurist Luisa, not "Luiza". "Luiza" is wrongly written.

Thank you.

Anyway, were you able to find her documentation? I can provide more biographical details about her if necessary.

diego reacted
ReplyQuote
(@sailor-haumea)
Fan

That certainly is great news.

The James Monroe King case would be the next big historic male case validation (if possible) - noting how long it’s been around - but also the length of time it’s been pending.

The problem is that while King was almost certainly indeed 112, the fact that efforts to locate him in the 1860 census have thus far been unsuccessful is an obstacle to full validation.

diego and ChrisR reacted
ReplyQuote
(@futurist)
Fan

Posted by: @sailor-haumea

The James Monroe King case would be the next big historic male case validation (if possible) - noting how long it’s been around - but also the length of time it’s been pending.

The problem is that while King was almost certainly indeed 112, the fact that efforts to locate him in the 1860 census have thus far been unsuccessful is an obstacle to full validation.

I don't think that this should be the decisive factor, though. I mean, I hope not. Sometimes people and their families just genuinely weren't enumerated in a particular census. It happened. For instance, Charles Edward Graves (1888-1999) was not enumerated during the 1900 US Census, and neither was his family. Something similar might have happened with Mr. King and his family in 1860. We tried for a decade finding his 1860 US Census match and couldn't, and neither could we find anything for his family. I think that we should acknowledge the possibility that it might not exist and instead use his 1870 US Census match (still within the 20 year window, and with little doubt that it's actually him) to verify his case. Not perfect, but still good enough IMHO.

diego reacted
ReplyQuote
(@futurist)
Fan

I hope that Mr. King's 1870 US Census entry (age 16; from within the 20-year-window) would be enough to verify him. Sad that we couldn't find an 1860 US Census match for either him or his family after a decade of searching, but it was not impossible for families to not be enumerated in one or more censuses. I think that we need to make do with what we have in this case.

diego reacted
ReplyQuote
(@futurist)
Fan

Posted by: @charlesm09

Newly Validated Supercentenarians on 29 May 2023:
Robert Alexander Early (USA, 8 Oct 1849 – 9 Oct 1960, aged 111) (link) (news)
Ken Ishikawa (JPN, 22 Feb 1900 – 20 May 2012, aged 112) (link) (news)
Tsunahei Ogawa (JPN, 9 Jan 1907 – 4 Jan 2019, aged 111) (link) (news)

ESO-validated SCs added to LQ:
Carmelina Augusta Delgado (POR, 8 Nov 1900 – 19 May 2013, aged 112) (link) (news)
Cornelia Boonstra-van der Bijl (NED, 6 Oct 1910 – 15 May 2021, aged 110) (link)

Minor nitpick, but Christ Norby was likely born in 1851, not in 1849. Without knowing the names of his parents with certainty, however, we can't be 100% sure of this. Still, the 1851 Norwegian birth (or is it baptismal?) record is promising.

diego reacted
ReplyQuote
(@futurist)
Fan

@Mendocino Do you have access to a link for a book about Juan Vicente Perez Mora's biography and family? It was posted on the 110 Club back when he was still 111.

@Sailor Haumea You're familiar with the Alice Meeder case, right? Do you think that anything from before the 1900 US Census actually exists somewhere, even if not online, that would definitively (rather than merely suggestively) confirm that she was born in 1880 rather than in 1888? (FWIW, in her case, I found another clue from the 1930 US Census, where she gives her age at first marriage as 20, which implies a birth in September 1888 for her since she got married in early 1901. But that's from long after the 1900 US Census.)

diego reacted
ReplyQuote
(@futurist)
Fan

@Sailor_Haumea: Didn't one of Alice Meeder's descendants post on the 110 Club recently (in Alice's thread)? I wonder if he knows of any documentation for Alice from before the 1900 US Census. Worth a shot, right? But someone else will need to ask him since I unfortunately can't post on the 110 Club any longer. 🙁 Anyone interested in this?

diego reacted
ReplyQuote
(@futurist)
Fan

BTW, off-topic, but I wanted to share this interview that was taken with Charles Edward Graves (1888-1999) on his 109th birthday:

https://web.archive.org/web/20220702181032/https://gravesfa.org/Newsletters/Gfnl1097.pdf

It was published in a local newspaper and (above) in the Graves Family Association official newsletter.

diego reacted
ReplyQuote
seto2001
(@seto2001)
Fan

Minor nitpick, but Christ Norby was likely born in 1851, not in 1849. Without knowing the names of his parents with certainty, however, we can't be 100% sure of this. Still, the 1851 Norwegian birth (or is it baptismal?) record is promising.

Thank you! I assumed he was partially documented and how documents actually support the 1849 DOB. 

LAS Member/Administrator (since January 2020)
ESO Correspondent for Croatia (since 2 August 2021)

diego reacted
ReplyQuote
(@futurist)
Fan

Posted by: @seto2001

Thank you! I assumed he was partially documented and how documents actually support the 1849 DOB. 

There's a thread about him on the 110 Club. He does have a lot of documentation, but he appears to have changed his name a bit once he moved to the US. So, while the 1851 birth/baptismal record is likely his, again, without knowing his parents' names, we won't be able to know for sure. I don't think that any birth/baptismal records for him from 1849 have been founded, FWIW.

He still (barely) lived to age 107, which is still very good for men in the 1950s. Comparable to a 110-year-old woman.

BTW, I'm glad that I was able to get credit for helping to verify Robert Alexander Early! 🙂

diego reacted
ReplyQuote
(@futurist)
Fan

Posted by: @record_116

After Mr Sonobe's validation, the number of the validated male supercentenarian is 10. Thank you LongeviQuest for it's brilliant achievement!

1. Juan Vicente Perez Mora (b. 27 May 1909)          Venezuela  (age 114)
   2. Eusebio Quintero Lopez (b.   6 March 1910)       Colombia  (age 113)
   3. Efrain Antonio Rios Garcia (b.   4 April 1910)       Colombia  (age 113)

4. Gisaburō Sonobe               (b.  6 November 1911)     Japan  (age 111)

5. Reuben Sinclair                   (b.  5 December 1911)    Canada  (age 111)
   6. Andre Ludwig                      (b.  6 June 1912)         France  (age 110)
   7. Tripolino Giannini                 (b. 20 August 1912)       Italy  (age 110)
   8. John Tinniswood                (b. 26 August 1912)          United Kingdom  (age 110)
   9. Salvatore Nardi                 (b. 14 October 1912)       Italy  (age 110)
 10. Herbert Wolding                (b. 15 October 1912)         United States  (age 110)

Interesting that if it wasn't for the Latin American men the current WOLM right now would be only 111 instead of 114.

diego and Record_116 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@futurist)
Fan

I don't speak Spanish, so I was wondering if someone who does speak Spanish could please tell us what is said about Mauro Ambriz Tapia in this article:

http://200.23.113.51/pdf/21314.pdf

diego reacted
ReplyQuote
(@futurist)
Fan

I just want to share the fact that Michael DeSantis was actually 10 months younger than he claimed to be and was thus 109 rather than 110 years old at the time of his death. An apparently original birth record was found for him on FamilySearch.org which gives a March 26, 1900 birth date for him. (It gives his name as Mike DeSantis and his parents as Quirino/Querino DeSantis and Angela DeSantis and his birth place as Charleroi, Pennsylvania just like he claimed at the time of his death in December 2009). He claimed birth on May 26, 1899, but this does not appear to be possible since he had a sibling named Maggie DeSantis who was born in late June 1899. A gap of nine months in-between siblings' births is extraordinarily tight but theoretically possible, especially if the latter child was a prematurely-born child. Anyway, we have to go with what the evidence says, though theoretically I suppose that there is a chance that the evidence can have a typo in it--even an original birth record!

So, the Michael DeSantis case can now be considered debunked. Quite sad too since we lost one of the oldest verifiable male SCs who were born in 1899. Turns out that he was born in 1900 instead. Was also rather surprising since both his 1911 immigration record (age 12) and his WWI draft registration card (born on May 26, 1899) both clearly imply an 1899 birth year for him.

What do you guys think about this?

diego reacted
ReplyQuote
(@futurist)
Fan

I just want to share the fact that Michael DeSantis was actually 10 months younger than he claimed to be and was thus 109 rather than 110 years old at the time of his death. An apparently original birth record was found for him on FamilySearch.org which gives a March 26, 1900 birth date for him. (It gives his name as Mike DeSantis and his parents as Quirino/Querino DeSantis and Angela DeSantis and his birth place as Charleroi, Pennsylvania just like he claimed at the time of his death in December 2009). He claimed birth on May 26, 1899, but this does not appear to be possible since he had a sibling named Maggie DeSantis who was born in late June 1899. A gap of nine months in-between siblings' births is extraordinarily tight but theoretically possible, especially if the latter child was a prematurely-born child. Anyway, we have to go with what the evidence says, though theoretically I suppose that there is a chance that the evidence can have a typo in it--even an original birth record!

So, the Michael DeSantis case can now be considered debunked. Quite sad too since we lost one of the oldest verifiable male SCs who were born in 1899. Turns out that he was born in 1900 instead. Was also rather surprising since both his 1911 immigration record (age 12) and his WWI draft registration card (born on May 26, 1899) both clearly imply an 1899 birth year for him.

What do you guys think about this?

FWIW, the parents and birthplace for June 1899-born Maggie DeSantis are the exact same ones as those for March 1900-born Michael DeSantis. So, Yes, they really do appear to have been siblings.

diego reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 6 / 8
Share: