Clear all

Kane Tanaka (JPN, 1903-2022)

88 Posts
30 Users
297 Likes
Ollie
(@ollie)
Fan

Congratulations to Kane Tanaka on reaching this incredible milestone! Incredibly strange to see Sarah Knauss in third place 😅

GRG Administrative Assistant for Database Administration (27 February 2016 – 18 November 2022)

Josia9353, Amck, Sonicbox and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
seto2001
(@seto2001)
Fan

Posted by: @ollie

Incredibly strange to see Sarah Knauss in third place 😅

My thoughts right now 😆 We will need some time to get used to it.

Congratulations to Mrs. Tanaka on this historical achievement!

LAS Member/Administrator (since January 2020)
ESO Correspondent for Croatia (since 2 August 2021)

Josia9353, Ollie, Amck and 2 people reacted
ReplyQuote
JimJim00
(@jimjim00)
Fan

I still can not believe that this had happened. Ever since I joined the world of longevity, I always thought not only Jeanne Calment but also Sarah Knauss were so exceptional that they would stay in the top 2 for quite a significant time. I always thought these two were so special, as if they were the only two who had received this 'little extra gift' to make it to 122 and 119. 

This all changed for me when Tanaka celebrated her 118th birthday. When she did, I thought to myself that I wouldn't have been surprised if she would also make it to her 119th birthday, which she did. When that happened, I was a little bit convinced that she would eventually surpass Sarah Knauss, which she did! To me, it feels weird that after ALL THESE YEARS, she is no longer on the 2nd place. However, that does not mean that Knauss became less interesting to me and as of now, she still remains one of my favourite supercentenarians of all. 

I remember when Tanaka became the WOP in 2018. At that time, her age was still below that of Edna Parker (!) and almost four years later, she is still here! During these four years, she not only became the doyenne of her own country but also surpassed the doyenne of Italy, Jamaica, Canada and even the USA (if I could go back in time and told myself this, I wouldn't have believed myself).

I don't know what else to say. That is why I would like to say two last things:

1: Goodbye, Sarah. 

2: Congratulations, Kane. 

Ell, Record_116, stoa-oid and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@sailor-haumea)
Fan

One thing that kinda puts into perspective as to how incredible Kane is - when she became Japan's oldest person, Japan's oldest man was Masazo Nonaka, born in 1905. The oldest man in Japan now was born in 1910 - a full seven years younger than her.

ReplyQuote
(@sonicbox)
Fan

Kane Tanaka has now reached the age of 119 years and 100 days!

WellAbove110, Record_116, stoa-oid and 2 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Josia9353
(@josia9353)
Fan

Well, at least Twitter is not ageist. Kane is still allowed to register 😉

Dejan and WellAbove110 reacted
ReplyQuote
Josia9353
(@josia9353)
Fan

Another remarkable thing: I would have expected either her 118th or 119th birthday or Chiyo Miyako's death day would have the highest value. What happened in September?

Dejan and WellAbove110 reacted
ReplyQuote
Ale76
(@ale76)
Supercentenarian Fan

Ms. Kane Tanaka's new picture in this new twitter post:

https://twitter.com/tanakakane0102/status/1514233240885682180?t=Vhl_kTRq6RAZpTnw6JkBJw&s=19

http://www.supercentenariditalia.it/persone-viventi-piu-longeve-in-italia.
Persone viventi più longeve in Italia – Supercentenari d'Italia (supercentenariditalia.it)

Record_116, Ollie, Josia9353 and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@runner726)
Fan

Great to see a new photo of Kane Tanaka.

She is the longest regaining WOP since I am following sc;s, only Mary Kelly and Jeanne Calment has been the WOP for longer times since at least Betsy Baker. Also, in just less than 100 days she might reach 4 years of being WOP.

Simply amazing!  

WellAbove110, Record_116, Josia9353 and 2 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Josia9353
(@josia9353)
Fan

The tweet does say she’s in and out of the hospital lately… Well, guess it makes sense, she ain’t 118 no more..

Hope she recovers! <3

ReplyQuote
(@930310)
Gerontology student

Thank you for your input. Let us now return to the subject of Mrs. Kane Tanaka.

ReplyQuote
Admin
(@admin)
Administrator Admin

[Discussion about the World's Oldest People moved here.]

[List of the World's Oldest People moved here.]

Dejan reacted
ReplyQuote
(@ryoung122)
Senior Consultant for Gerontology, Guinness World Records

@josia9353 Japan has Respect for the Aged Day in September.

Josia9353 reacted
ReplyQuote
Josia9353
(@josia9353)
Fan

I wanted to post this in the "Statistics" section, but it was neither a list, chart, or map. But a video. It's fun, because I have followed this guy for maybe 2 years now! (I take NMN :p) And (only) now he covers Kane Tanaka (but mostly a statistical study). 

TL;DW: they estimate the probability that in this century someone will A) surpass Calment; B) reach 124; C) reach 127; and D) reach 130 at, respectively: 1, 0.99, 0.68, 0.13.

EDIT: My $0.02: it's fun, and probably useful, but I don't think most step function changes in (bio)technology could have been predicted... 

Dejan and ReZet reacted
ReplyQuote
Josia9353
(@josia9353)
Fan

Kane has now been WOP for an amazing 3¾ years! XO

WellAbove110 reacted
ReplyQuote
Record_116
(@record_116)

https://globalsupercentenarianforum.com/index.php/community/deaths110-2022/kane-tanaka-1903-2022/

RIP Mrs. Kane Tanaka... You are truly legend who gave courage and hope not only to Japan but to the whole world. People all over the world will never forget your name for centuries.

Born 3 Feburuary 1999. Founder of 5ch anonymous message board about longevity (1 January 2012) / Founder and chief administrator, the oldest people research forum in Japan founded in 1 January 2017. Link: 長寿者研究フォーラム (oldestpeopleforum.jp)

Pavlos123 and Dejan reacted
ReplyQuote
Mendocino
(@mendocino)
Fan

In wake of her passing, the Nishinippon Shimbun has republished an old article they wrote about her in 2010, when her biography was first published. It includes a photo of her at 107, holding her newly-published book.

Born in Wajiro, Higashi-ku, Fukuoka, while doing business such as mochi and udon shops, Kane Tanaka, who is 107 years old and still living well, followed the path of life, "Flowers and storms are ten. "Seven years old" was published by his second son, Tsuneo Tsuneo (80) and Reiko (75), the chairman of the paper container company, at his own expense. Her devoted efforts and her loved appearance are depicted, such as her babysitter and the absence of her husband and her eldest son who went to the battlefield.

Kako went to four houses one after another from the age of 12 after graduating from elementary school. She doesn't work. She also did sewing, farming and weaving. "I hear she was always loved by her sister, sister," Tsuneo said.

At the age of 19, he married his cousin Hideo, who had a mochi shop. She collected not only rice cakes but also pine needles from the pine forest of Saitozaki along with soybean charcoal and sold them as fuel. She opened a udon shop in the Hakata Naval Air Corps, which was located in what is now Uminonakamichi Seaside Park. After the war, she also worked on flower shops. The motto is "Don't throw it away. Live hard".

Since 2005, when his eldest son, Nobuo, died, he entered an elderly home. He also overcame cancer surgery at the age of 103. He draws pictures, practices penmanship, and enjoys tanka on a daily basis. He loves Othello games. He says, "I can't just study, so I'm not blurred. Curiosity and effort are the key to a long life."

I've left notes since I was a kid. There are about 10 notebooks now. Mr. and Mrs. Tsuneo asked Mamoru Hanada (79), an editorial board member of the literary magazine "Kyushu Bungaku", who was a member of Kashii Takashi, to write and publish the book.

Kako, who picked up the printed book, laughed, "I've been loved by everyone. I've come this far, so I shouldn't be the longest-lived person in Japan."

Profile picture: Marita Camacho Quirós (1911-Present)

stoa-oid, ArthurBrazil, WellAbove110 and 4 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Record_116
(@record_116)

Kane Tanaka's elder sister named Hana was passed away on the day Tomiko Itooka's 90th birthday. It's another surprised coincidence.

Born 3 Feburuary 1999. Founder of 5ch anonymous message board about longevity (1 January 2012) / Founder and chief administrator, the oldest people research forum in Japan founded in 1 January 2017. Link: 長寿者研究フォーラム (oldestpeopleforum.jp)

diego reacted
ReplyQuote
Record_116
(@record_116)

It's been (almost) a year since she surpassed Sarah Knauss and become the second oldest person ever.

Kane Tanaka was the last SC to be accredited during the era of GRG founder Dr. Coles who passed away in 2014. I loved the old GRG table, It's so nostalgic.

How happy I would be if I could go back to those times (when I was 13-14 y.o.) with my current memories.

stoa-oid and diego reacted
ReplyQuote
ChrisR
(@chrisr)
Fan

Rest in Peace Mrs Kane Tanaka - on the first anniversary of your passing.

diego reacted
ReplyQuote
Ale76
(@ale76)
Supercentenarian Fan

Today marks 1 year of her death.

RIP dear Kane Tanaka, you will never be forgotten ❤️ 

http://www.supercentenariditalia.it/persone-viventi-piu-longeve-in-italia.
Persone viventi più longeve in Italia – Supercentenari d'Italia (supercentenariditalia.it)

diego reacted
ReplyQuote
Charlesm09
(@charlesm09)
Fan

How has it been a year already?! Rest in peace, Mrs. Tanaka. We will always remember you.

Interested in supercentenarians since 27 July 2018.
First supercentenarian I learned about: Kane Tanaka (1903-2022)

diego reacted
ReplyQuote
Aquanaut
(@aquanaut)
Fan

You'll always be in out hearts Mrs. Tanaka. 

|Male| 🎮Gamer🎮 > 👕Fashion Lover👕 > 🕶Chore Motivator🕶
Favorite Male SC: Juan Vicente Pérez Mora
Favorite Female SCs: Lucile Randon & Kane Tanaka
😁And the kind of guy that's always down to chat😁

diego reacted
ReplyQuote
Aquanaut
(@aquanaut)
Fan

Picture of Kane Tanaka on 01 April, 2019 at the age of 116

diego and Gabriel_PT reacted
ReplyQuote
Aquanaut
(@aquanaut)
Fan

Undated picture of Kane Tanaka

diego reacted
ReplyQuote
Aquanaut
(@aquanaut)
Fan

Apparently this is a photo of Kane Tanaka as a child. Source says she was approximately aged 7 in it, but I'm not sure it's a reliable source. Just thought I'd post it here in case it is legit

diego reacted
ReplyQuote
(@cbb12355)
Supercentenarian Fan

@aquanaut_chalk This is Shigeyo Nakachi, not Kane Tanaka.

ChrisR and diego reacted
ReplyQuote
Aquanaut
(@aquanaut)
Fan

@cbb12355 thank you for confirming that. The site said it was Kane Tanaka, but I didn't want to confirm 100% that it was her yet because it was an unreliable source. Appreciate it! I won't get any information from this site in the future

ChrisR, diego and Cbb12355 reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 3
Share: