Clear all

Violet Brown (JAM, 1900-2017)

8 Posts
6 Users
13 Likes
(@sonicbox)
Fan
Topic starter  

Violet Brown was a Jamaican supercentenarian who lived to the amazing age of 117 years and 189 days. She was the first ever validated supercentenarian from Jamaica.

diego, Dejan, Pavlos123 and 3 people reacted
Josia9353
(@josia9353)
Fan

She was also the last living subject of Queen Victoria..!

ReplyQuote
ChrisR
(@chrisr)
Fan

Violet Brown also appeared extremely healthy at the time of her 117th birthday. It is hard to think of many that looked better on that same birthday.

Sadly, the loss of her son Harland (at 98) and her then being moved from her long term residence appeared to be huge blows for her and quite possibly lead to what some may feel was a premature departure.

Rest In Peace Violet Brown.

Record_116 and Ale76 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@sonicbox)
Fan
Topic starter  

Violet Brown did not die naturally. She was kidnapped shortly before her death. It is so sad.

ReplyQuote
(@landon)
Fan

@sonicbox source of her being kidnapped 

ReplyQuote
ChrisR
(@chrisr)
Fan

Just before Mrs Brown died, there was an article in one of the local newspapers.

I'm going to see if I can find it in the coming days, but if I recall correctly the newspaper was called "The Gleener" or something similar.

Prior to finding it, my best recollection is that after the passing of Harland, there was a dispute between a couple of factions of the family about the quality of care that Violet was getting. For this reason, one of the two factions made the decision to remove her from her home and they placed her in a hospital, or similar institution, the identity of which, was kept secret from the other faction. 

The (as far as I know unproven) outcome was that those that did not want her removed, suggested the other faction were interested in getting their hands on the family home, via moving Mrs Brown out of it, irrespective of her own needs.

In addition the long time caregiver was said to have always done a wonderful job and to have been fully trusted and relied upon by both Mrs Brown and Harland.

So the speculated position is that whilst mourning the loss of her son, Mrs Brown was removed from her home and also away from the care and company of at least some of her family. She had lived there for many many decades and it appears to have been where many or most of her life memories had been created.

So the speculation was that the full combination of change and loss, removed the desire to go on living, for the 117 year old that was probably the fittest that many of us can recall.

Ale76 and 930310 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@930310)
Gerontology student

@chrisr that's how I recall it as well. I know it was discussed on The 110 Club at the time.

ReplyQuote
Record_116
(@record_116)

Japanese supercentenarian Ina Okazawa (b. 10 March 1910, nearly 114 years old) was born exactly a decade after the birth of Violet Brown.

That wasn't the only coincidence. Ibaraki Prefecture, where Ina Okazawa lived, having a population of 2,823,456 at the beginning of this year, which is really close to the total population of Jamaica, where Violet Brown lived.

Born 3 Feburuary 1999. Founder of 5ch anonymous message board about longevity (1 January 2012) / Founder and chief administrator, the oldest people research forum in Japan founded in 1 January 2017. Link: 長寿者研究フォーラム (oldestpeopleforum.jp)

diego reacted
ReplyQuote
Share: