Notifications
Clear all

Carmen Góngora de Yaggi (ARG, 1857-1968)

5 Posts
4 Users
22 Likes
seto2001
(@seto2001)
Fan
Topic starter  

I'm glad to announce the LAS has located and validated the earliest (known) Latin American supercentenarian.

Carmen Góngora de Yaggi was born in the street of Calle 4 de Enero, Santa Fe City, Santa Fe Province, Argentina, on 21 September 1857. She got married in 1880 and had 10 children. Her husband was a rancher born in Switzeland. She returned to the city of Santa Fe in 1908, after the death of her husband.

At the age of 107, she was still very lucid, she was able to help with the cleaning of her house, she was still able to sew and read without any difficulty. At that time, she lived with her daughter, Ercilia Yaggi de Ascención.

She passed away in the city of Santa Fe, on 3 June 1968, at the age of 110 years, 256 days. At the time of death, she was the 4rd oldest living person in the world (2nd validated), behind Narcissa Rickman (USA, unvalidated but documented), Georgette Jeanmaire (France, ESO-validated, died only 3 days later), [Johanna Booysen (GWR-validated but disputed)] and Tome Horigome (JPN, unvalidated). She currently holds the title of the first (known + validated) supercentenarian in Latin America, and the former longevity recordholder, since it was not until 20 years later that her age was surpassed by Gisela Lamm de Altschul.

At 107, in September 1964:

LAS Member/Administrator (since January 2020)
ESO Correspondent for Croatia (since 2 August 2021)

JimJim00, Ale76, ArthurBrazil and 9 people reacted
Mendocino
(@mendocino)
Fan

For some reason I always had a feeling there'd be an extremely early SC case waiting to be discovered from a country like Argentina. This case has been known about for a while, but it took some time for direct confirmation of her death date to be obtained.

Here's another photo of her, from her 100th birthday in 1957:

This also seems to be her in an undated photo:

Profile picture: Marita Camacho Quirós (1911-Present)

JimJim00, seto2001, ArthurBrazil and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@sailor-haumea)
Fan

@mendocino The 1850s are turning out to be way more fruitful when it comes to supercentenarian births than initially thought. We're at like 26 of them now.

Also, Stefan: I believe you forgot the unvalidated but researched/documented case of Narcissa Rickman.

Mendocino, seto2001 and Dejan reacted
ReplyQuote
Jef
 Jef
(@jef)
Fan

Something very cool about this case is that she's the first SC to be found/listed in the 1895 census of Argentina. 

Sailor Haumea and Dejan reacted
ReplyQuote
seto2001
(@seto2001)
Fan
Topic starter  
Posted by: @sailor-haumea

Also, Stefan: I believe you forgot the unvalidated but researched/documented case of Narcissa Rickman.

You're right, my mistake. [Post edited]

LAS Member/Administrator (since January 2020)
ESO Correspondent for Croatia (since 2 August 2021)

ReplyQuote
Share: