Clear all

I have started writing my master's thesis in gerontology

4 Posts
3 Users
7 Likes
(@930310)
Gerontology student
Topic starter  

My thesis does unfortunately not focus on supercentenarians, only centenarians (but I will make sure to mention the term at least once!). I will include every centenarian in the Swedish National Patient Register from 1987 to today and study frailty, morbidity and mortality. My working theory is that there has been an "expansion of morbidity" in recent years thanks to medical advances, which has allowed more people with morbidity to survive into their centenarian years, resulting in an overall frailer centenarian population. Hopefully this study will confirm my hypothesis.

Charlesm09, Gabriel_PT, 024Tomi and 1 people reacted
Robbie
(@robbie)
Researcher

Posted by: @930310

My thesis does unfortunately not focus on supercentenarians, only centenarians (but I will make sure to mention the term at least once!). I will include every centenarian in the Swedish National Patient Register from 1987 to today and study frailty, morbidity and mortality. My working theory is that there has been an "expansion of morbidity" in recent years thanks to medical advances, which has allowed more people with morbidity to survive into their centenarian years, resulting in an overall frailer centenarian population. Hopefully this study will confirm my hypothesis.

Certainly an interesting topic of discussion! I've often wondered this, as many of the very early supercentenarians (up to say, Mary Kelly) have been seemingly at above average outside health in their supercentenarian years. I wish you the very best of luck with your thesis! 

930310 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@930310)
Gerontology student
Topic starter  

@rob thank you! My hope is that it will be good enough to publish in a scientific journal. I am going to study the phenomena of "delayers", "survivors" and "escapers" to see if the composition in the centenarian population has changed. Previous papers have mainly focused on ADL and not chronic illness. Some support a hypothesis of a frailer population, others reject it.

ChrisR and WellAbove110 reacted
ReplyQuote
diego
(@diego)
Fan

Posted by: @930310

@rob thank you! My hope is that it will be good enough to publish in a scientific journal. I am going to study the phenomena of "delayers", "survivors" and "escapers" to see if the composition in the centenarian population has changed. Previous papers have mainly focused on ADL and not chronic illness. Some support a hypothesis of a frailer population, others reject it.

Good luck with your thesis, I hope you do well

ReplyQuote
Share: