Top 50 Oldest Costa Ricans Ever

7 Posts
4 Users
20 Likes
Mendocino
(@mendocino)
Fan
Topic starter  

Here's a project that I've recently started working on. Costa Rica is arguably the easiest country to research in Latin America, largely due to the near-universal document indexing and online ID card database, which allows for a claimant's date of birth/date of death to be easily searchable. I worked on this list until I could find 50 cases aged 107+, but there's obviously more that are currently unknown to researchers, so think of this as more of a proof of concept than a finished product. I imagine that the actual top 50 for Costa Rica is entirely 108+. Almost all of these cases could be verified to a high standard of evidence, but there are a few which aren't fully documented - these are italicized. 

As you might expect from a relatively small country like Costa Rica, a few of these cases have some familial connections.

Francisca Caravaca Gutierrez (1875-1983) is the mother of María Emilia Caravaca (1904-2013).

Filemón Arias Rivera (1904-2013) is the older brother of Constancia Arias Rivera (1909-2016).

Marita Camacho Quirós (1911-present) and Adela Monge Quiros (1907-2015) are second-cousins. 

Claudia Soto Saborio (1909-2020) and Antonio Ardón Soto (1888-1998) are second-cousins. 

While not a familial connection, it's interesting to note that the parents of Marita Camacho Quirós (1911-present) and Juan Gabriel Hernández Matamoros (1913-present) were neighbors, and knew each other growing up. In 2021, Juan Gabriel was still able to recall memories of knowing Marita's family when they both lived in Naranjo, Alajuela.

Profile picture: Marita Camacho Quirós (1911-Present)

FEW, diego, Fabri21 and 5 people reacted
(@wellabove110)
Fan

Excellent work, @Mendocino!!

diego and Mendocino reacted
ReplyQuote
Mendocino
(@mendocino)
Fan
Topic starter  

I found two more 108 year olds, this time from the early/mid 2000s:

Alfredo Agustín Villalobos Fonseca (6 Jan 1894 - 10 Oct 2002), 108 years, 277 days

Pictured here with his sister, Rosa Villalobos Fonseca (15 Aug 1903 - 9 Jan 2009), who died at the age of 105 years, 147 days:

Isaías Garro Marin (3 Apr 1897 - 6 Oct 2005), 108 years, 186 days

In 1962, an article was written about him where he was recognized for being the oldest active Costa Rican guard, then aged 65. Little did they know, he would go on to live for another 43 years.

diego, Dejan, WellAbove110 and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Mendocino
(@mendocino)
Fan
Topic starter  

Some more photos of Josefina Quirós Soto (12 Apr 1905 - 7 Oct 2015), found on Facebook. The first four were from December 2014, and the final one is undated.

diego and Gabriel_PT reacted
ReplyQuote
Ale76
(@ale76)
Supercentenarian Fan

Ms. Marita del Carmen Camacho Quiros (born 10 March 1911) was the first person who turned 112 in Costa Rica and now she is also the first person who turned 113 in this nation.

http://www.supercentenariditalia.it/persone-viventi-piu-longeve-in-italia.
Persone viventi più longeve in Italia – Supercentenari d'Italia (supercentenariditalia.it)

diego and ChrisR reacted
ReplyQuote
Ale76
(@ale76)
Supercentenarian Fan

https://longeviquest.com/2024/04/the-true-age-of-jose-delgado-corrales-investigating-costa-ricas-oldest-person/

In May 2021 news outlets throughout the world reported the death of a man in Costa Rica who, according to his government records, was 121 years old (José Uriel de los Angeles Delgado Corrales, “Chepito” for short.

In 2024 LongeviQuest has located a far more likely identity match for Chepito: José Maria Ramón de los Angeles Delgado Corrales was born in Turrialba, Cartago, Costa Rica on 5 March 1924, making his actual final age 97 years, 83 days. 

The undisputed, validated all-time recordholder for oldest person from Costa Rica is former First Lady Marita Camacho Quirós (born 10 March 1911), who, at the time of writing this post, is alive at the remarkable age of 113. She is the only Costa Rican person known to have ever reached the ages of 112 and 113.

http://www.supercentenariditalia.it/persone-viventi-piu-longeve-in-italia.
Persone viventi più longeve in Italia – Supercentenari d'Italia (supercentenariditalia.it)

ReplyQuote
Aquanaut
(@aquanaut)
Fan

OMG 😱  I misread the link title the first time I read it as "validating" instead of "investigating" and for a second I thought that Jose Delgado Corrales had actually been validated. I was like "NO WAY!" until I re-read it. But yeah, I had heard that theory of him really being only 97, and I'm pleased to see that LQ has released to the public,  undisputable evidence that he indeed was only 97. Congratulations to Maria Camacho Quiros for being the 1st validated person from Costa Rica to reach both 112 and 113. That is surely an impressive and amazing achievement. 

|Male| 🎮Gamer🎮 > 👕Fashion Lover👕 > 🕶Chore Motivator🕶
Favorite Male SC: Juan Vicente Pérez Mora
Favorite Female SCs: Lucile Randon & Kane Tanaka
😁And the kind of guy that's always down to chat😁

ReplyQuote
Share: