Notifications
Clear all

Serafina Herrera de Sugasti (PAN, 1901-2015)

7 Posts
5 Users
18 Likes
Mendocino
(@mendocino)
Fan
Topic starter  

Serafina Herrera de Sugasti (21 May 1901 4 Aug 2015) is the oldest known person ever from Panama, having died at the age of 114 years, 75 days. Her age is now validated by LAS.

Aged 101:

The article linked about provides details about her biography. 

Aged 110:

Aged 111:

One month before turning 112.

Profile picture: Marita Camacho Quirós (1911-Present)

Dejan, 024Tomi, Marco and 9 people reacted
JimJim00
(@jimjim00)
Fan

She was also most likely the oldest living person in Latin America at the time of her death. 

Dejan and Pavlos123 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@independentthinker)
Fan

Impressive to see a 114 yo lady in Panama! In comparison, Belgium, a more populated country, has never produced a 113 yo person yet!

GRG correspondent for France (October 2012-20/04/2023)

ReZet and Dejan reacted
ReplyQuote
024Tomi
(@024tomi)
Fan and researcher

@independentthinker True, but let's remember the differences between Belgian and Panamanian climate and 20th century history.

Congratulations to the LAS team for this great validation!

ESO Correspondent for Hungary (since 2020)
GRG Correspondent for Hungary (2020-2023)
Tracker and researcher of Hungarian and other Central European (super)centenarians (since 2016)
Enthusiast of extreme longevity (since childhood)

ReplyQuote
(@coyote77)
Fan

@independentthinker That is not the right comparison. The right comparison is comparing the country’s populations at the time when the supercentenarians were born. In 1900, Panama had a population similar to Luxembourg (250 000). Belgium itself could be compared to Argentina (6 millions VS 4 million). I have seen a lot of people comparing the countries with their current population but that isn’t realistic. 

ReplyQuote
(@independentthinker)
Fan

Posted by: @coyote77

@independentthinker That is not the right comparison. The right comparison is comparing the country’s populations at the time when the supercentenarians were born. In 1900, Panama had a population similar to Luxembourg (250 000). Belgium itself could be compared to Argentina (6 millions VS 4 million). I have seen a lot of people comparing the countries with their current population but that isn’t realistic. 

You're right. I should be more thorough next time. Nevertheless, comparing Panama's population to Belgium's in 1900 strenghthens even more what I wrote previously 😉

GRG correspondent for France (October 2012-20/04/2023)

Coyote77 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@coyote77)
Fan

@independentthinker indeed, it makes it even more impressive. Far more…that’s why I wanted to highlight my small point. 

ReplyQuote
Share: