4 Posts
4 Users
4 Likes
024Tomi
(@024tomi)
Fan and researcher
Topic starter  

@jef What about Faustino Vargas Pérez?

ESO Correspondent for Hungary (since 2020)
GRG Correspondent for Hungary (2020-2023)
Tracker and researcher of Hungarian and other Central European (super)centenarians (since 2016)
Enthusiast of extreme longevity (since childhood)

Amck and Mendocino reacted
(@sailor-haumea)
Fan

Posted by: @024tomi

I believe Faustino has early, mid-life, and late-life documentation (and thus would be considered validated), but the fact that the marriage record hasn't been located yet prevents the case from being airtight. We do have birth records of his children listing the names of him and his wife as the parents, though, so we have proxy proof of marriage.

ReplyQuote
seto2001
(@seto2001)
Fan

@024tomi @sailor-haumea Marita is about to become the oldest validated Costa Rican and the oldest documented woman from CR, however, I'm not sure if Jeff would agree, but I do not consider a validated recordholder to be the actual recordholder.

If you compare the number of documented (both validated and pending) SCs on LAS with the numbers for LA that the GRG had just a couple of years ago, then we have A LOT of supercentenarians, but not a single country in LA is perfectly covered, for only some such as Uruguay we can say how the data is solid. We have hundreds of unvalidated and not-researched claims just from social media, therefore who are the actual recordholders for the LA countries.. that will remain a mystery for quite a long time. Do I consider either Marita or Faustino as the recordholder for Costa Rica. Documented? Yes. The actual recordholders? No. This few posts reminded me how just recently I found a Costa Rican woman who claimed to be 113 in the early 2010s.

Faustino is currently pending. He has a very strong documentation (his marriage record has been located, Sailor), but there's still a reason why he is "pending" instead of "validated". While I do not doubt his case, and while he is nothing like "Chepito", Jose Flores and similar claimants, some family contact would probably speed the things up, but we can't really hope for that since it has been more than a decade since his passing. I probably don't have to say this, but Costa Rican male claims are... suspicious by default, so we need to be extra careful about them.

LAS Member/Administrator (since January 2020)
ESO Correspondent for Croatia (since 2 August 2021)

ReplyQuote
Mendocino
(@mendocino)
Fan

Posted by: @sailor-haumea
Posted by: @024tomi

I believe Faustino has early, mid-life, and late-life documentation (and thus would be considered validated), but the fact that the marriage record hasn't been located yet prevents the case from being airtight. We do have birth records of his children listing the names of him and his wife as the parents, though, so we have proxy proof of marriage.

The "issue" with Faustino's case has never been with documentation, since he's always had more than enough to be validated. The fact that he was married for close to 80 years and lived with three of his children (all in their 70s and 80s) in his later years should give undeniable proof that he was at least the same person listed in his children's birth records, meaning that the theoretical identity theft would've needed to occur sometime before the birth of his first child in 1928, which is obviously extremely unlikely. If he were from any other country in Latin America, there wouldn't be any question about his age, but the fact that he was from Costa Rica means that there could theoretically be some sort of bizarre, early life identity swap shenanigans going on, but as I outlined above, I can't realistically see how this could be a possibility with him.

Profile picture: Marita Camacho Quirós (1911-Present)

Coyote77 reacted
ReplyQuote
Share: