Clear all

Sarah Knauss (USA, 1880-1999)

10 Posts
5 Users
5 Likes
(@sonicbox)
Fan
Topic starter  

Sarah Knauss lived to the amazing age of 119 years and 97 days. She has held her place in spot 2 of the oldest validated people ever for more than 22 years.Β 

Β 

[Admin: adjusted opening post.]

Admin
(@admin)
Administrator Admin

@Sonicbox, I've removed the second part of your opening post (in which you've commented about Kane Tanaka), as you've created this thread to discuss Sarah Knauss - no need to bring in other supercentenarians. πŸ˜‰

Sonicbox reacted
ReplyQuote
(@930310)
Gerontology student

Posted by: @sonicbox

Sarah Knauss lived to the amazing age of 119 years and 97 days. She has held her place in spot 2 of the oldest validated people ever for more than 22 years. However now there is a supercentenarian named Kane Tanaka who is approaching her and is now really close to her final age. She can be surpassed soon.

Is it necessary to mention Kane Tanaka in such a brief post? Wouldn't it be better to celebrate her life and lifestory? I have done extensive research into Mrs. Knauss in the past and have collected an article gallery covering parts of her life.

https://imgur.com/a/PmpT8

Mendocino and Sonicbox reacted
ReplyQuote
(@sonicbox)
Fan
Topic starter  
Posted by: @930310
Posted by: @sonicbox

Sarah Knauss lived to the amazing age of 119 years and 97 days. She has held her place in spot 2 of the oldest validated people ever for more than 22 years. However now there is a supercentenarian named Kane Tanaka who is approaching her and is now really close to her final age. She can be surpassed soon.

Is it necessary to mention Kane Tanaka in such a brief post? Wouldn't it be better to celebrate her life and life story? I have done extensive research into Mrs. Knauss in the past and have collected an article gallery covering parts of her life.

https://imgur.com/a/PmpT8

No, there is really no need to.

ReplyQuote
(@930310)
Gerontology student

One of the things that I would love the most is a video interview with Sarah Knauss. I've searched far and wide in the past but have never seen a video of her. I am confident that one exists, it's only a matter of where it can be found.

Sonicbox reacted
ReplyQuote
Mendocino
(@mendocino)
Fan

One of the things that I would love the most is a video interview with Sarah Knauss. I've searched far and wide in the past but have never seen a video of her. I am confident that one exists, it's only a matter of where it can be found.

There is one video of her that I'm aware of:
https://reuters.screenocean.com/record/987864
Unfortunately, there isn't any sound, but I kind of doubt she was really capable of being interviewed in her later years due to her being almost completely deaf.Β 

Profile picture: Marita Camacho QuirΓ³s (1911-Present)

ReplyQuote
(@930310)
Gerontology student

@mendocino Probably. Still, this is the first video footage I've seen of her. The local news could perhaps have done a video interview with her before she gained world-wide notoriety following the death of Jeanne Calment. She was actually a well-known member of the community since her husband had a high position at the local newspaper.

Mendocino reacted
ReplyQuote
Mendocino
(@mendocino)
Fan

@mendocino Probably. Still, this is the first video footage I've seen of her. The local news could perhaps have done a video interview with her before she gained world-wide notoriety following the death of Jeanne Calment. She was actually a well-known member of the community since her husband had a high position at the local newspaper.

It looks like someone is holding a film camera in the background of this photo from her 115th birthday:

I've also thought this could be a screenshot of a video:

I wouldn't even be surprised if the local newspaper reports from her 100th and 106th birthdays were also televised.Β 

Profile picture: Marita Camacho QuirΓ³s (1911-Present)

ReplyQuote
Josia9353
(@josia9353)
Fan

It took almost a quarter century for someone to surpass the legendary Knauss. How many passages of Knauss do you expect for the next quarter century?

Β 

(PS:Β technically,Β she could still be surpassed twice within a quarter century! If Lucile were to live an additional 382 days..)

ReplyQuote
Josia9353
(@josia9353)
Fan

Wait, I could give this a go: those people who will turn 119 in 25 years are 94 now. The 1-year-survival ratio up to 100 is still above 50%, but beyond I believe about 106 this has declined to around 40%, where it plateaus. So if we average that out a little to, say, 45% for these people who are now 96, then we only need to know how many people right now are 94. Does anybody have any idea about that number? Because then it's just [that number] Γ— 0.45²⁡. But I'm afraid it's not so easy to get these (global) estimates..

ReplyQuote
Share: